Author Topic: mystik scraper  (Read 5306 times)

jstarcher

mystik scraper
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:05:08 pm »
Anyone use this?  If so how do you sharpen it?

Offline shamus

Re: mystik scraper
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:37:50 pm »
I use one, and know the guy who made it.  :)

It's basically a cabinet scraper, but thicker. You burnish the edge like you would a scraper.

I haven’t gotten to the point where I need to hit it with a bastard file, and I'm not sure if it's needed. If it needs it, I'll do it.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »
Its easy enough to make a scraper yourself. Save you money, The back side of a old sawz all blade works better than anything I've tried. I sharpen em up on my belt sander.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:23:15 pm »
yes, other kinds of scrapers work good too......

but. i have a mystic and i REALY LIKE IT.
i have used it alot in the past on just about everything and i touch mine up with am old broadhead file...when i used steel.
bottom line, you get what you pay for.
and THE MYSTIC IS WORTH THE LITTLE AMOUNT YOU PAY.
mbg

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:36 pm »
I have one too....and it sits in my Cabinet....I like my thin Scrapers a lot better than this Heavy Bulky one....if you want one Cheap....let me know......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:02:11 am »
Yep, my brother has one and I like my ols sawz all blade better. The mystic scraper is to thick to flex.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:39:39 am »
I have Mystic.  Love it for getting to the final ring on a stave.  I find it's a really safe way to get rid of that last spongy stuff thats just over the heartwood ring.  Also it worked really good for getting the bark off of vine maple.  As far as sharpening,  I was wondering about that as well. ???
Traverse City, MI

Adam Keiper

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
It's one of my go-to tools for sure.  The thing is basically a cabinet scraper on steroids.  Where a typical cabinet scraper takes off wood the thickness of tissue paper, the Mystik takes off wood as thick as a heavy paper bag.  I like to alternate it on the limb with a #49 or #50 Nicholson rasp.  One tool removes the markings of the other, so neither one gets carried away.   :)  Great for early thru mid-stage tillering.  Keep your Sandvik scraper for final tillering and chasing growth rings. 

To sharpen, put it in vise and run a mill bastard file along it's edge.  Puts a huge hook on it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43:54 am »
Don't have a mystic but I have thin scrapers, med scrapers and thick scrapers. I see no
reason to pay for a scraper when you can make your own. :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 11:36:54 am »
Don't have a mystic but I have thin scrapers, med scrapers and thick scrapers. I see no
reason to pay for a scraper when you can make your own. :)

Der Ya Go........Pard!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:06:31 am »
A friend gave me a Mystik scraper, nothing special, i wasn't impressed. As former tool snob I once thought I had to have all the most expensive tools for bow making. I have them all, bowyers edge, mystick scraper, sandivic cabinet scrapers and a bunch of other stuff as well. Nothing scrapes as well or sharpens as easily(accusharp scissors sharpener) as my half pair of Fiskars scissors.

The same friend who gave me the mystik scraper gave me the scissors and said" try these out, they will surprise you". They certainly did!

The only other high dollar tool I have found to be worth every penny is a Nicholson #49 pattern makers rasp. I smile ever time I use mine because it works so well. I have the #50 as well but the #49 is all you need.   

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 03:45:13 pm »
I have the rectangular one from 3 rivers with the 1 concave/ 1 convex end. So far it's been all I've needed, and was cheap.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA