Author Topic: A little pickling  (Read 7232 times)

Offline darinputman

A little pickling
« on: June 26, 2021, 10:15:05 pm »
 Took a break fom the shop today to do a little pickling. I been trying to perfect a recipe for squash pickles and will give these a couple weeks an see how they turned out.
  I was also given a bunch of quail eggs but they don't go very far. I look forward to getting more as opportunity permits though. My wife raises ducks and I have pickled a few of them but they have to be the hardest eggs there is to shell whole.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: A little pickling
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:36:35 pm »
Google "quail egg peeler". you can get a hand crank version for under fifty bucks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 11:06:04 pm »
That is interesting JW, if I had a steady supply I would be interested for sure. the quail eggs although time consuming are a lot easier to peel whole than duck eggs. I have tried many things with them but thanks to google will be trying a few more. Steaming works wonders for sure.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 11:21:13 am »
I listen to "America's Test Kitchen" where they often apply scientific rigor to testing and creating recipes. They found the most foolproof way to get the shells off a hard-boiled egg was to add a little baking soda to the water. I have had excellent luck with this, including peeling shells off eggs that had been laid the day before. Try a little baking soda the next time with your duck eggs and lemme know how it works.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 08:47:50 pm »
Will give the baking soda a try, thanks.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 08:37:43 am »
I had no idea anyone on earth was pickling quail eggs. That's awesome and they look delicious!
Bellaire, MI

Offline darinputman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 10:44:40 pm »
Boomhowzer they are good, hopefully mine will be also.

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 03:59:34 pm »
Recipe...

Offline darinputman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 10:27:44 am »
White falcon my recipe is simple, I steam the quail eggs for 10 minutes. Put peeled eggs in quart jar with 2 sliced up jalapenos and garlic, pour in vinegar that has been brought to a boil leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  I then process mine in a steam canner for 15 minutes, or you can use a water bath canner. This is basic recipe sterilizing everything along the way. Can also add a little beet juice in vinegar if you like the red color but seems to be for appearances only as doesn't really change the flavor
   Sorry took so long to post, usually read the bow forum but neglect the others.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:32:18 am by darinputman »