Author Topic: YUM!!!  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
YUM!!!
« on: September 14, 2021, 12:55:45 pm »
 Yesterday Marcia and I went over to the State Farmers Market, like we do each year and picked up 2 boxes (25# each) of Roma tomatoes, some bell peppers, onions and garlic. This morning I started processing them. I cook it all down, add a can or 2 of tomato paste to help thicken it up some and let it cool. Then I put it in gallon ziplock bags and freeze for later use. This basic tomato sauce can be used for many things like chili, spaghetti sauce, bolognese sauce, stewed okra and tomato and other stuff.
Here's my processing process...

Here's where it all starts...

...start with peppers, onions, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper and saute with olive oil...

..as the vegs cooks down some I place the tomatoes in boiling water to free the skins for easy removal...

...then in cold water and start peeling the skins off. This makes peeling the tomatoes easy. then cut them up...

...then the tomatoes go in with the other vegs and the cooking begins...

...the cooking will go on for a couple of hours then a couple more hours to cool so I can bag it all up for the freezer.
 I will use some of this tomato sauce with fresh okra we also bought yesterday for stewed okra and tomatoes tonight to go over rice.
 This batch is from one of the 25# boxes of tomatoes we bought yesterday. I'll start the next box tomorrow. These 25# boxes cost $15 yesterday. The first year we did this we got the boxes for $7. Even at $15 per box it still a good deal that is really appreciated through out the winter.   -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: YUM!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:28 pm »
Tomatoes at our Farmer's Market are $2.29/lb. Even the culls and ugly second rate 'maters!  I can only imagine paying $0.60/lb for fresh tomatoes.

I am going down tomorrow morning to buy as many ears of fresh corn as I can get for $40. I'll husk'em, dump them in a cooler, and cover with boiling water for 20 minutes. Those will be wrapped in plastic wrap two ears to the package for the winter. Nothing like pulling some corn on the cob out of the freezer in the winter, popping it in the microwave for a couple minutes and revisiting summer!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:46:24 pm »
That's what this tomato sauce does for us in mid winter, John, brings us back to summer fresh meals.
I'll process the other 25# tomorrow but first I need more peppers and onions. Didn't get quite enough.
 We had stewed okra and tomatoes on rice, yellow squash and onions cooked with bacon and sliced Cherokee Purple tomatoes and avocado with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper for supper tonight.   -C-  YUM!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 11:47:20 am »
That sounds delish, Pat!

I got an even 100 giant ears of corn for my $40. Spent a good part of the day shucking. I could get 4 dozen ears in my cooler at a time. Using my big turkey fryer propane burner, I could get a 5-gallon pot of water boiling quickly. Poured that over the corn and shut the cooler to cook while I shucked the next batch. Half was stripped off the cob, packaged and frozen. The other half was wrapped two ears at a time in plastic wrap and stacked like cordwood in the freezer. Now I can pull out corn on the cob all winter when the mood strikes, quick trip thru the microwave and I am good to go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 12:42:19 pm »
One of my favorite ways to eat corn is cut it off the cob and saute it with butter and olive oil, a bit of garlic, salt and pepper.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 01:32:36 pm »
i love eating corn, steamed, then lightly (i guess not fried) but cooked in a bit of butter with garlic salt. sooo.... i guess the same way as pat! except i dont cut it off the cob!

I do dare say, nebraska has some pretty good sweet corn at our farmers market!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 02:51:05 pm »
I put 20 bags of the stewed tomatoes in the freezer for later use. Yum!!!

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 05:38:47 pm »
Looking good, Pat!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 05:44:23 pm »
That looks excellent!  I'll be right over.  What's your address, again?   ;D -C-
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour