Author Topic: Sourwood and hill cane arrows for arrow trade  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Sourwood and hill cane arrows for arrow trade
« on: July 11, 2021, 02:42:18 pm »
I selected 3 sourwood shoots and 2 hill canes to build a few arrows, for the arrow trade and some for other projects. I started with an initial straightening a few days ago...

Today I cut the shafts to 30" my normal length, did a little more straightening then spined them to find the stiff side, the side that goes against the bow. Once that is determined I cut the string nock and also taper the point end and cut the a slot for the point on the same plain. I do this for simplicity and for my style of shooting it works just fine.

The shaft on the bottom had a naturally bulbous end so I'm gonna give that arrow a small game blunt.  More to come...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Sourwood and hill cane arrows for arrow trade
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 03:31:40 pm »
Pat those are looking good can't wait to see them finished.

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 03:35:20 pm »
Love to watch your process!  :OK
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 02:13:18 am »
Nice!  I am working a red osier shaft for the trade!  Just have to decide the fletch, point, and decorations to be ready to ship! (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 11:31:35 am »
I did a bit more hand straightening yesterday and worked on shaping the self nocks. I start this with a single bandsaw cut(I do the same for the point end)...

...then open that cut with a thin bladed knife...

...then with sandpaper folded over and over until I open the throat to my liking...

...then taper the point end and add the initial point slot. Each individual points will be fitted when the time comes. Also, on this sourwood shaft I'll use the natural bulbous end as a blunt for a small game arrow.

The next step will be a bit more hand straightening then I'll temper each shaft. This helps keep them straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 01:16:53 pm »
Looking good Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:55:44 pm »
I just got done with the tempering. I start at one end of the shaft and rotate slowly over the flame of our gas kitchen stove until I get good color change then move along the shaft, rotating over the flame as I go. Once you get to the other end be careful of the steam coming out. No matter how dry you think they are there is always steam. The color adds a bit of camo to the bright shafts. I check the straightness. There is always some bend but they straighten easily while still hot. Once that's done I lay them flat to cool and rehydrate...

...on the cane I like to compress the nodes instead of sanding them flat. I heat the node until I get good color then roll and compress the node with an osage block and our butcher block table. This color adds the camo effect to the cane shafts...

This is the osage block I use for compressing the nodes and my arrow wrench...

I happened to notice the rings on this osage block. Wish I had more osage like this again...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 05:37:52 pm »
Pat is your tool to straighten the shafts have a slope on both sides?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 07:31:30 pm »
Yes it does, Rob. It still dents the hot shafts some but not near as much as it would if it didn't have them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 11:46:32 am »
Now to haft the point. I like to haft the point at this time, now that the shaft is relatively straight so I can do a spin test to be sure the point lines up with the plain of the shaft. I test this by spinning the shaft with the point on the tip of my finger so I can feel if there is any wobble. I do a dry run first to be sure to get the point aligned with the shaft, not only this way...

...but this way also...

When I'm sure it lines up well and it spins true I mark the shaft and point so I can go right back where it needs to be then I add the pitch glue to the slot in the shaft...

...then I heat up the point and soften the pitch glue over a candle and set the point in the slot on the shaft...

...again I do a spin test to be sure it is all lined up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 12:00:09 pm »
...now it's time for the sinew wrap. I use the longest strands of sinew I can get, generally is is backstrap sinew. I pull off a strand and chew it until it is soft then wrap around the shaft making sure the head is secured. Your saliva and the sinew makes it's one glue so no other glue is needed. I will seal all sinew wraps, at the point, the fletching and the self nock with pine pitch varnish, but that comes later. You can see the sinew wrap below the head on the shaft...

I am using 3 strands of sinew, added one at a time making sure the head is secure but also go about 1" below the head with the wrap to strengthen the end of the shaft and the connection. Once the point is secure and the sinew wrap is dry I trim the end of the shaft to be sure that there is a smooth transition from point to shaft for good arrow penetration. In this pic you can see the left side has been trimmed, the right side not yet...

...more to come

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 02:33:59 pm »
FYI...this is how I make the pitch varnish I use to seal sinew wraps. This is not a true varnish because it doesn't have any oil in it but it works just fine for what I use it for.
 First you start with hard, brittle pitch. If you use softer pitch the varnish will remain sticky and not harden. I place the pitch nodules in a clean, air tight jar and cover it with denatured alcohol. Any alcohol will work even Ever Clear or moonshine. Other solvents will also work but denatured alcohol is the least dangerous to use.
 The jar in the pic has had the ingredient in it for about an hour. It usually takes over night for all the pitch to dissolve into the solution. After this you can strain out the impurities which usually sink to the bottom. If any floats I remove it but don't worry about what's on the bottom.
 To apply I use a small artist paint brush, dip it in the varnish and apply it to the sinew wrap. As soon as the alcohol evaporates the varnish is hard. Don't worry about cleaning the brush. The next time you use it it will soften when it goes in the varnish.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 08:23:57 pm »
Thanks for doing this build along pat, it's very helpful
In the woods I find my peace

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 09:02:28 am »
   Pat, I personally thank you for this Pitch Shellac "how to"...I have used this many times and have learned this from your posts years ago...I use it on all sinew backings and wraps, it's bullet proof as far as I am concerned and it's proven it's self to me over and over...Thanks again my friend, keep it coming...
                                                                                                Don

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:05:47 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 01:47:27 pm »
Don, years ago I read an article in PA Magazine about making varnish from tree sap. That's where I got the idea of pitch varnish and it does work well to seal sinew wraps.

Got all the points hafted for these trade arrows. At least one will go for the PA Arrow Trade.