Author Topic: coyote scat treasure  (Read 8332 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
coyote scat treasure
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
On another one of my evening walks I came across a pile of old(bleached out) coyote scat and to my amazement this 4"+ section of deer leg bone was part of the pile. :o Well, I couldn't just let it lay there so I picked it up(by the clean end  ;) ) with thoughts of making a knife handle with my new found treasure(one mans treasure.... ;D)
   At the Tenn Classic, while watching some of the knappers work I asked Barry McCall if he would make me a blade for the coyote scat handle. Barry reached into his bag of tricks and pulled out this nice       (3 3/4"x1") rhyolite blade and handed it to me. Barry and I have been trading partners for years and we never kept score so we both give freely to each other. 8)
   Well, last night I went to work on hafting the blade to the handle and this is what I came up with. The construction methods were not all primitive but neither am I  ;D OK no comments from the peanut gallery! >:( After slotting the bone with a band saw I used files and rasps to fit the blade and handle together.  I did boil the bone for about 30 minutes and then with the use of pitch glue, sinew and hide glue hafted them into this knife.     Enjoy!       Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

Re: coyote scat treasure
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:38 pm »
awesome, im sure the coyote really enjoyed the poopin it out part.. ;D them things will eat anything, like dogs they just woof it down.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »
Pat, that's super-dooper cool.  :) Hard to get much more medicine than that into a knife handle. Those 'yotes must have a tough digestive system.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:43:40 pm »
Pat, that's super-dooper cool.  :) Hard to get much more medicine than that into a knife handle. Those 'yotes must have a tough digestive system.

And an even Tougher Bung Hole!!!!!!!!!  Nice knife Pat.....one Dogs Scat is another Mans Treasure....aint that right DANA!!!!

;D

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:45:08 pm »
Yea Mike dats right ;) I'm still looking for a diamond ring here at work.  ::)

Nice knife Pat, Barry is quite the guy sure am glad I got a chance to meet him.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:39:01 pm »
Cool knife Pat! I love the look of that green Rhyolite. Nothing quite like it! But you sure need something like a baseball bat to get into it. James and the others ever try inderect percusion to work the stuff instead of beating their legs to death?

Was wondering if your friend might be up for trading a few matched stemmed hunting points for and obsidian knife? Would lover to put a couple of them on some matched shafts for when I go hunting.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:02:15 am »
Should have used a thunderchert blade.  ::)  Nice knife anyway.  Wash your hands before you eat.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:29:54 am »
i revisited this thread several times, before i dared to post.  it's a beautiful knife, but somehow i can't get over the origin of the handle  ;D

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:00:02 am »
That is a great story.  Something tells me that coyote is still sore. The knife looks great.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:23 pm »
I was also amazed of the bones journey  but not surprised it was from a coyote. I watched a show on Public TV about Coastal Alaskan wolves(smaller than interior wolves) that hunted grizzly bears for food. The researcher was studying them by their scat and frequently found grizzly claws and teeth in the wolves scat.  When the feeding frenzy begins, he who gets most wins.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dingleberry

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49:13 pm »
Very cool knife Pat.  I hope you get to skin somethin out with it in the future.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 02:00:10 pm »
We should change the saying to:

"Shakin' like a coyote pooping legbones".... ;D
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »
Beautiful Knife Pat,I love them leg bones.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »
Chad,  ;D. Maybe we should start looking for peach seeds, too.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:48 pm »
Chad,  ;D. Maybe we should start looking for peach seeds, too.  :)
In a survival situation you could eat those.  Anybody hungry?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah