Author Topic: 62” Sinew-Backed Osage Recurve  (Read 5513 times)

Offline PaSteve

Re: 62” Sinew-Backed Osage Recurve
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 10:08:25 am »
You're turning out some really nice bows, Will. Nice to have Bob in your neck of the woods to build bows with. Great job and those skins look awesome! Hope that bow is successful on a Pa whitetail this fall.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 01:50:11 pm »
That's a plain beauty! Congrats!
All looks spot on. You did a fine job.
I personally wouldn't sinew a bow with that length.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 02:15:52 pm »
sweeeet bow Will... nice tiller too... gut

Offline PeteC

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 04:35:04 pm »
That's a beauty and I like everything about it. That is one clean piece of boisd'arc too. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline bassman211

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 12:12:14 pm »
simson ,it was his first short bow, and he wanted it sinew backed. He has been hunting successfully with 68 inch Osage bows. Next one will be a 62 inch Osage self bow. Bet you wouldn't have used Tb3 with the sinew either like many on this forum.  I can say that this bow is not a wet noodle like some might think, because of using Tb3 with the sinew. Sooner ,or later we will chrony it ,and post the results. Last bow you posted is a beaut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2021, 01:30:28 pm »
simson ,it was his first short bow, and he wanted it sinew backed. He has been hunting successfully with 68 inch Osage bows. Next one will be a 62 inch Osage self bow. Bet you wouldn't have used Tb3 with the sinew either like many on this forum.  I can say that this bow is not a wet noodle like some might think, because of using Tb3 with the sinew. Sooner ,or later we will chrony it ,and post the results. Last bow you posted is a beaut.

While hide glue may have given an advantage with a bit more arrow speed, the way it was built is still gonna perform! I'll bet the price of a cup of coffee this bow has some snort!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will B

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 01:53:48 pm »
I just got home from ETAR and wanted to thank everyone for your comments. Much appreciated!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 04:15:46 pm »
Very nice, I would have thought 62" short not long ago, but I have taken a liking to shorter bows and shorted draws recently.  With the stiff handle and recurves The working limb would be a lot shorter, so the sinew makes sense.  I'm glad the TB3 worked well for you. 

Offline Will B

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 04:39:40 pm »
Thanks tradcraftsman. I am also starting to make my bows shorter as I gain more experience. I shot this bow a lot this week at ETAR and I really like how it shoots. No stack and hits hard.

Offline simson

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 04:03:57 am »

Well, maybe I was misunderstood. This bow is a beauty (what I've said) and I have no doubt it is a good shooter. I just said, I personally wouldn't sinew an osage with that length. And yes I prefer hide glue with a sinew job, there are some good reasons why.
Again, Will made a fine job!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bassman211

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2021, 05:23:50 am »
No harm, no foul. Your bow builds are impeccable simon. You are a true master craftsman. This was a special bow for Will B., and as we go along we will build a 62 inch Osage self bow, and another with hide glue as close as we can  design wise, and poundage, and, check performance comparing all three through a chrony. The test won't be scientific, but will give us an idea of how much performance gain their really is  from one bow to another. I am amazed at each ,and every bow that you post. Respectfully Bob.

Offline rps3

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 12:12:26 pm »
Great looking bow! Wish I would have run into you at etar. It was a good time.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 02:26:30 pm »
looks great congrats,, :)

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 12:12:14 pm »
Good looking bow in all aspects Will B.
Tommy D.....When reverse bracing while sinewing bows of positions from 5 to 15 inches with hide glue on quite a number of bows the bow will still reflex around 3/4" more than it's reversed brace position for me on bows of at least 1.25" wide as sinew loves to pull even harder on wider thinner limbs.Which can be variable then.
Even while applying sinew in stages letting it dry a week to 10 days between stages ie. 6" to 9" to 12".That means the reverse brace string goes limp in that 10 day wait.That's using at least 1200 grains of sinew total then too.So approximately 400 grains of sinew applied in 3 stages.
I usually end up using around 400 grains or a little more of hide glue with that 1200 grains of sinew then too.
Using tite bond it just lays there with no extra reflex from reversed position.That means the reverse brace string stays tight.The sinew/titebond combo will help in reducing set though.
You'll get a bigger bang for your buck reflex wise using hide glue.All things considered ideal that the bow is properly tillered and I agree with bownarra that to get the best from sinew is to put it to work.

Has anyone tried model airplane dope?
It shrinks paper and cloth stretched over the wooden frame work to produce a tight smooth surface much stronger than the original material while bonding the skin to the frame. The effect is strong enough to curve thin wooden slats if doped on one side only.
If the model airplane dope wouldn't work perhaps the formulation used on full size wood and cloth vintage airframes might. In that application the thin linen surface is stout enough to resist wind pressures of several hundred miles per hour without permanent deformation.
Just a thought.