Author Topic: Tile saw for slabbing rocks  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Tile saw for slabbing rocks
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:00:22 am »
I am once again rock poor so the gears in my head have been turning.  My closest source of knapping material is in southwest Mississippi and consists of citronelle chert in creek gravel.  The gravel is not very big but can be found in sufficient size to make hunting sized points.  As you can imagine with creek gravel it comes in all shapes and sizes.  Some shapes are nearly impossible to reduce in size and squeeze a point out of.  Being able to cut these rocks into slabs would greatly increase my rock inventory.  The question: is a tile saw capable of doing this job?  If yes can any of you guys offer any tips on doing so? 

Offline Patches

Re: Tile saw for slabbing rocks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 11:32:26 am »
I have a 7 inch tile saw from Harbor Freight that I use.  I have cut chert with it, but the saw has a hard time cutting through it.  It seems to be a little under powered.  That being said, I have tried to cut larger pieces of chert (around 4 inches thick).  The largest cut I can make with this saw is around 2 1/2 inches, so I have to cut one pass, flip the rock over and try to line up with the first cut while cutting from the other side.  With smaller diameter material, like creek gravel, it may work just fine since it does not to cut through all the mass.     

It may be possible to use it to cut smaller pieces off creek gravel to shape them or make them more knappable.  I am off work tomorrow, and if I get a chance, I will do some trim work on some Missouri creek gravel and see how it does.  I have some Mozarkite gravel, and I its about as hard of a chert as I know of.  If it will cut that gravel, it will cut most any type of chert. 

As far as cutting the softer materials (obsidian and glass) the saw chews through those like its nothing.  I have slabbed a lot of obsidian and slag glass with it. 

If i get a chance to cut some creek gravel I will let you know. 

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »
Sweet let me know how it goes.  I have some obsidian and glass but I dislike it very much.  The tiny shards of glass are a royal pain.  I have to heat treat most of my stone, I’m guessing you cut the slabs then heat treat those or would you heat treat the gravel then cut?

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:44 pm »
Wolfman, I did not get to slab any gravel this weekend. I will be at Mojam all week but when I get back I will slice up some creek gravel and see how it does.

I will let you know when I get it done.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 02:20:28 pm »
I have a 10" tile saw.. when I cut glass or obsidian the tile saw does fine .. but if I cut chert.. it sucks.. I bought a diamond  blade for it and hung up the thicker tile saw blade.. its all I use now .. I only used it for some kay county chert I got a hold of... its very rare for me and I can't find anymore anywhere.. so I was just trying to get all I could out of what I had.. funny.. wished I would of just spalled it cause it doesn't want to pressure flake worth a damn.. might heat treat it again.. was supposed to of already been treated... but its not glossy at all..gut