Author Topic: Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***  (Read 6904 times)

Offline crumrw

Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:21:55 pm »
Well, after nearly 10 years out of the primitive archery world, I've made it my mission to hunt this year with primitive tools I make. I've started two bows in the past. One was an Osage self bow that George Stoneberg was helping me build when life took some turns on me, and I had to abandon my project. Got so close to finished too! I hope George ended up finishing it and getting some use out of it. I also attempted a really nice bamboo backed ipe that blew up on me during tillering.

Well long story long, here I am making what will hopefully be my first complete Osage self bow from wood I split and sat outside for about the last 10 years. It has some bug damage so I had to go down about 7 rings, but I'm finally at a point where I have a ring chased. It's pretty knotty and has pretty substantial propeller twist. My worry comes from the number and location of the knots, and how much I'm going to have to heat and bend things to line up. Should I keep going? Should I find a new stave? Should I make a board bow first? Feeling a little in over my head on this one.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:36:35 pm by crumrw »
Garland, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Am I in over my head?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:37:33 pm »
I can’t really tell much from the pics, so I will generalize with my thoughts on this. The easiest approach is a board straight, knot free Osage stave. That gives you the best chance for success, and you already know this. The more knots you add, and the less straight it is, the higher the difficulty factor and you know this as well. So THIS, is the stave you have. Knots are entirely workable on good Osage. Even troublesome knots in troublesome areas, but the likelihood of loosing one is greater. That is true for any veteran, and even more so for folks with very little experience. Draw your bow out, and post the pics. Good quality, close up pics. The layout could make or break it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:09 pm »
 As long as you don't pretend those knots and flaws aren't there, and don't shave it flat, you will be fine. Any flaw that exists treat it like a hole and leave fresh wood around it.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 12:21:55 am »
I’ve been leaving one ring up around each knot and then worked them lightly to the knot with the edge of a knife. I feel pretty confident I haven’t violated the ring I chased, though I’m a bit nervous how the knots are going to affect the tillering.
Garland, TX

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:58:14 am »
 Just leave the extra width at the knots, to compensate and tillering will take care of itself.
Its osage, so its very resilient as long as you take your time and don't get ahead of yourself.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:06:43 am »
How wide is your layout, it doesn't take much osage to make a bow, if you could narrow your limbs you could go between the knots.

Mine are always 1 1/4" wide, I have made them 1 1/8", my friend makes slinter bows down to 7/8" and has no trouble getting 55# bows.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:08:42 am »
  You will get some great help here on that stave from many folks...I wish you luck and am happy to hear you want to hunt with your Primitive Bow...I will begin by saying that I would recommend following the already split grain around those knots...Follow that grain my friend
                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
I'm going to go in the opposite direction. I would put that stave aside, get a good clean board (if you have access) and make yourself a well tillered board bow to hunt with this year. Get a little more experience then tackle that stave. Good luck whatever your decision.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 10:41:17 am »
Is this your first bow? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:59:35 pm »
Agree with Don. Don’t cut thru the knot. Swing wide around it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 01:53:24 pm »
Is this your first bow? Jawge

If it makes a bow, this would be my first complete one, though I’ve gotten a self bow to a the tiller tree with help before and unfortunately moved locations before I had the ability to finish it.

Here’s where I’m currently at. The second and third photo shows a knot in the side wall that has me a bit concerned. It lies right at the end of where one fade will be. It didn’t seem too deep so I might be able to work it out a bit and stay within 1-1/2” with still.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:57:17 pm by crumrw »
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 03:51:22 pm »
I'm going to go in the opposite direction. I would put that stave aside, get a good clean board (if you have access) and make yourself a well tillered board bow to hunt with this year. Get a little more experience then tackle that stave. Good luck whatever your decision.

I may end up doing just that. That being said, I'm ok with this one failing as long as I learn something along the way. I hope it doesn't though  :D
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 03:52:19 pm »
How wide is your layout, it doesn't take much osage to make a bow, if you could narrow your limbs you could go between the knots.

Mine are always 1 1/4" wide, I have made them 1 1/8", my friend makes slinter bows down to 7/8" and has no trouble getting 55# bows.

Trying to stick with 1-1/2" width until about 10" from the tips where the taper will begin to 1/2".
Garland, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 04:15:03 pm »
Looks like you are making good safe moves so far. Keep it up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 04:21:13 pm »
Heck yea go for it. You ought to see the wood I use.
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas