Author Topic: Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***  (Read 6820 times)

Offline crumrw

Re: Am I in over my head?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 11:50:19 am »
Ok, good to know. I wonder if I work the side until that little pin knot is gone if that completely remove it. Would that be a better option, or should I just pray it makes it through the tillering process so I can wrap it? If I worked it down, it would make the bow a bit thin at that point, but could possibly take an inch off each side to get that point closer to the tip.

I misspoke in my previous post. The crack hits the back of the bow just to the right of the 1” mark, headed for that tiny dark spot (pin knot) about the width of the tape measure right of the tape.
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 12:00:13 pm »
Something like this, maybe?

Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 12:53:16 pm »
Well I worked both sides down a bit further, because it just felt like they were both so close to being worked out of the bow. Sure enough, with a few strokes of the draw knife and few strokes of the scraper, they appear to be gone! The tip is stil currently about 5/8" wide, so I had a bit of room to play with.

Will post pics shortly.
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38:16 pm »
What it looks like now
Garland, TX

Offline TimBo

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 03:21:59 pm »
That should be plenty of width since your nocks will probably end up at 3/8" wide, or maybe 1/2" if you want thicker ones.  Hopefully your problem has been solved...on to new ones!

Offline crumrw

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2021, 10:18:57 pm »
Don’t worry y’all! I haven’t forgotten about this project. I’ve made a bit of progress, including learning how to Flemish twist a tillering string, building a tillering tree, and getting a scale. I’ve also been slowly getting through the tillering process. Below are some pics of where I’m currently at. Ignore the marks on the wall, as the bow handle is slightly angled and causes the right limb  to start lower. The shims I used were sliding around so I  didn’t use them for these photos. That being said, the right limb is still a bit weaker than the left. Also the snakey character of the left limb makes it challenging to tiller correctly, but the photos shows that it might need to bend a bit more just left of the handle. Am I right? What are y’all’s thoughts?

First image is with the long string ( bow is shimmed in this photo). The rest are short string without shims.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:26:45 pm by crumrw »
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2021, 10:20:14 pm »
  More
Garland, TX

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2021, 10:31:00 pm »
good to see it's still alive! This is the point I usually start getting impatient.
Don

Offline crumrw

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »
I’m about 47-48 lbs at 28” now. The brace height is a little low, so I’ll make the final string a hair shorter. Shape the handle, clean up the tips, do a once-over sanding and finish, and the critters should be running!

What do y’all use to finish your bow?
Garland, TX

Offline Kidder

Re: Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 05:00:49 pm »
Looking great! You’ll want to make sure you shoot it a bit and recheck the tiller again before you finish it. I really like a couple coats of minwax tung oil finish with a couple coats of Truoil over top of that.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2021, 05:16:42 pm »
I've used tru-oil for ever. I just bought a can of spar varnish and it's a little easier, or at least quicker. Both work great for me.
Don

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
Looking good like others have said. Tiller looking good to. This is going to be a great first bow I’m guessing. Your not sandbagging us are you Tx.😁😁 Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2021, 07:07:20 pm »
That is one heckuva first bow.... before finishing it up, start with some half draw shots and work your way out to full draw shot. That way if anything changes you can fix without ruining any finsh. Again, nice work on a tough first stave, I bet we see some cool stuff from you in the future
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline crumrw

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2021, 09:29:33 pm »
Looking good like others have said. Tiller looking good to. This is going to be a great first bow I’m guessing. Your not sandbagging us are you Tx.😁😁 Arvin

Lol, I assure you I’m not  sandbagging y’all. I actually was at about 52lbs at 25” and ended at 47lbs at 28”, so needless to say I made a few over corrections and chased the tiller a bit at the end resulting in a slightly lower than expected draw weight. All in all, I’m still pinching myself on this one, but it ain’t over yet. I still gotta send an arrow  ;)
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2021, 09:32:19 pm »
I've used tru-oil for ever. I just bought a can of spar varnish and it's a little easier, or at least quicker. Both work great for me.

Thank you! Was thinking truoil but was worried about the sheen. I think have some spare varnish I could use
Garland, TX