Author Topic: Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Will B

Re: Am I in over my head? PIC HEAVY ***progress update ***
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 10:18:02 pm »
That’s a great looking osage bow. I finish my bows with 6-8 coats of Tru-oil followed with a final coat of spar-urethane to knock the sheen off the bow. Good luck with it this fall!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 10:24:24 pm »
I've used tru-oil for ever. I just bought a can of spar varnish and it's a little easier, or at least quicker. Both work great for me.

Thank you! Was thinking truoil but was worried about the sheen. I think have some spare varnish I could use
To get get of the sheen buff it with a mix of olive oil and pumice powder. Creates a beautiful finish with low sheen.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2021, 10:19:22 am »
Got the handle and tips shaped. Will share some draw pics shortly!

I suppose it’s about time to start thinking about arrows. Here’s a run down of where I’m at.  I cut a few crepe Myrtle shafts out of the front yard about a month ago. I also picked up a handful of tomato stakes. I did notice one of the crepe Myrtle shafts was quite brittle as I was straightening it and I kept breaking it shorter and shorter. That particular shaft also has trouble staying straight for very long. My biggest concern is testing the spine.  I don’t have a spine tester. Is there a good method for tuning arrows without one? Another consideration that makes this even more difficult is my arrow heads all weigh slightly different. Would love to get opinions on next steps.

Thank you for all the continued help in this journey!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:24:04 am by crumrw »
Garland, TX

Offline Fox

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2021, 12:12:47 am »
Boy your first bow looks better than my 50th   :P :)  (SH) :-D

I can't wait to see it finished :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2021, 02:25:30 am »
Got the handle and tips shaped. Will share some draw pics shortly!

I suppose it’s about time to start thinking about arrows. Here’s a run down of where I’m at.  I cut a few crepe Myrtle shafts out of the front yard about a month ago. I also picked up a handful of tomato stakes. I did notice one of the crepe Myrtle shafts was quite brittle as I was straightening it and I kept breaking it shorter and shorter. That particular shaft also has trouble staying straight for very long. My biggest concern is testing the spine.  I don’t have a spine tester. Is there a good method for tuning arrows without one? Another consideration that makes this even more difficult is my arrow heads all weigh slightly different. Would love to get opinions on next steps.

Thank you for all the continued help in this journey!

Buy some proper matched shafts to get you in the ballpark first. Once you have a known arrow that shoots well there are ways to match it.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2021, 10:34:16 am »

Buy some proper matched shafts to get you in the ballpark first. Once you have a known arrow that shoots well there are ways to match it.

Was thinking about this. I have a few carbon arrows in a similar spine i can test with.  Good suggestion.
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2021, 10:35:41 am »

Thanks for the kind words. It ain’ta bow though until it flings an arrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
Garland, TX

Offline Fox

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2021, 11:18:14 am »

Thanks for the kind words. It ain’ta bow though until it flings an arrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Fingers crossed  :)

Offline crumrw

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2021, 09:45:07 am »
Here is a draw pic
Garland, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2021, 10:25:05 am »
Bingo!!!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2021, 09:22:29 pm »
Full draw looks great, especially with the stave you started with. Hopefully it will hold together for a long time to make you a durable hunting bow.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:35 am »
Getting that good of a tiller on that wonky lower limb shows you do really good work.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2021, 10:23:58 am »
Thank y’all for the kind words!

When I was splitting this log over 10 years ago, I had the back of my axe head explode on me with a hammer strike sending two pieces of metal about the size of a .22 bullet into my right leg. An emergency room visit, and a talk with an orthopedic surgeon led to emergency surgery to remove both pieces due to risk of nerve damage to my ankle and lower leg. I took this build slow for several reasons, but one big reason was I that I felt this wood OWED me a bow, lol.
Garland, TX

Offline Fox

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »

When I was splitting this log over 10 years ago, I had the back of my axe head explode on me with a hammer strike sending two pieces of metal about the size of a .22 bullet into my right leg. An emergency room visit, and a talk with an orthopedic surgeon led to emergency surgery to remove both pieces due to risk of nerve damage to my ankle and lower leg. I took this build slow for several reasons, but one big reason was I that I felt this wood OWED me a bow, lol.

My goodness what a story! Seems like the wood produced you a bow

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2021, 12:44:53 pm »

dang! that wood definitely payed you back in full! its a great looking bow
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.