Author Topic: 30 inch billets what draw length can I expect  (Read 981 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
30 inch billets what draw length can I expect
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:29:52 pm »
OK, so I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" type question but here goes.  I have 2 x 30 inch billets which I am going to splice with a turkish style handle (2 v-splices ).  The billets are both split at the nock ends so I will splice in some short stiff levers.  Overall, the length will end up at a minimum of 64 inches ttt, depending on how long the levers are. What sort of max draw length will I be looking at with the bending sections being about 25 inches in each limb?

Offline Morgan

Re: 30 inch billets what draw length can I expect
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:47:32 pm »
There is an alternative to losing length of the billets. I have seen it in here before and maybe in one of the TBB, but I’m not sure. It involves a short small piece cut to mate the splice cuts in each billet. I’m sure it has a name but I don’t know it.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:24:42 pm »
Better to just splice the two billets together as normal. The nv-splice in the tip sections to get your length. Having a long v-splice from the handle running into the working limbs is no good unless you were to add a belly lam and back it with something tough.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 07:07:15 pm »
Maybe use something like a takedown sleeve and cover it with leather?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 11:15:56 pm »
25-26” draw
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 10:47:51 am »
OK, so I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" type question but here goes.  I have 2 x 30 inch billets which I am going to splice with a turkish style handle (2 v-splices ). 

You haven't stated if you are splicing them flat, with reflex or with deflex. If you want to gain some draw length you can splice in some deflex and then move the nocks forward with the stiff levers you are going to add.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:50:17 pm by mmattockx »