Author Topic: Newb question on backing  (Read 908 times)

Offline Catkinson

Newb question on backing
« on: July 28, 2021, 06:54:03 pm »
Built a couple red oak bows now and have enjoyed the process. Working on a hickory board bow  now. I'm almost done with final tillering and was wondering if I can back it now or is it too late? Basically I’m not liking the string follow and set that it has taken. Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline Will B

Re: Newb question on backing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 07:29:47 pm »
You might consider building a reflex form and heat treating the belly on your form. It will add some weight and reduce/eliminate string follow. Hickory loves heat treatment.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:12 pm »
Generally I would plan a backed bow from the get go. You can add a backing, drawing the bow into 3" to 4" of reflex at glue up. Hickory, maple, elm or bamboo can be used for the backing. OR, you could start a new bow using the knowledge you've gotten up til now and give this first bow to a someone else, a kid maybe. OR, what Will said.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:29:53 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catkinson

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:17:54 pm »
Great info fellows thank you !
Learning as I go .

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:33:22 pm »
As has been said Hickory loves heat treating. It has to be done before glueing on a backing. Unless I just wanted a backed bow I would and do just clamp both ends to a flat surface with a block of wood under the handle. This will give you a slight reflex about half of which will pull out.
With a good toast color heat treat you could end up with a straight bow after shooting it in.

I’ve had good luck with this method. Your mileage may vary.

P.s. the tiller will need to be checked and more than likely a little work after heat treating.

Offline Catkinson

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 12:03:18 am »
Thank you Woody !

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 03:43:12 am »
You can run into problems trying to heat treat an already tillered bow. It ain't all a bed of roses :)
No point backing it once it is already done. You would add a bunch of draw weight and have to start tillering again.