Author Topic: It's time to stop thinking and start doing  (Read 11269 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: It's time to stop thinking and start doing
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:56 pm »
I think he needs a rifle instead of a smoothbore, he wants to reach out and touch them.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 08:10:00 pm »
Indeed it's a rifle I'm wanting. Eric, if you have the time and energy, I'd appreciate your knowledge in piecing together a kit for me. With all the parts that aren't available, the good parts the bad ones, what goes to what, im out of my element here. I don't have the knowledge to even know what questions to ask.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 03:10:24 pm »
You have to decide on exactly what style gun you want, for a beginner I would go with percussion.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 08:00:50 pm »
Mostly you need reference material that you can refer to during the different steps of a build.

A lot of us started out with "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" which is pretty through.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/303/1/BOOK-GGC

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:16:18 pm »
I'll be searching for and buying that promptly.  Thank you.

As for style, I do want a Hawken, and I like the full stock. I understand what JW said about the flinch with flint, but why do you recommend percussion?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 01:48:28 am »
The better quality locks are just as fast as per-cussin'. I have seen many videos where it shows the ignition is faster than the eye blink in a flinching shooter. It's no different than training out the flinch in shooting modern guns....concentrate on follow thru on the shot.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 09:22:34 am »
I have a late Ketland and a Roller lock that are very fast, I have a Deluxe Siler and and English round face that are not fast all the time.

Flint can be very fast but all the stars have to align, freshly sharpened flint, humidity and how long the prime has been in the pan, fowling from previous shots and most of all how well your lock is tuned. For instance; I have never balanced the spring tension between my main and frizzen spring, something that is supposed to make a huge difference in lock timing. I do polish all the surfaces of my lock internals to a mirror finish.

I have killed a lot of deer with my flintlocks, bottom line, deer (at least Alabama deer) "jump the string" on flintlocks because of slow lock times so you better aim low. Hang fires do happen in spite of all your caution to prevent them, I have never had a percussion gun hang fire on a deer.

My point is; I don't feel like a flintlock is an entry level gun, especially if you have never dabbled in black powder before. I shot percussion for 40 years before I transitioned to flint, my flintlocks were very frustrating to me at first. I missed the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods at 30 yards because of a flash in the pan, re-primed then had a hang fire and a flinch. It was snowing huge wet snow flakes that evening, had I been shooting percussion my gun would have simply gone "bang". 

The last deer I shot at with my flintlock was what appeared to be a 10 point at 12 yards. I had my lock-on set between too huge trees, I had my stand on one and could rest my rifle on the other, I had my smooth bore 12 with the English round face lock. The buck never saw me as he eased by, I put my sights on him (I have a rear sight on this smoothie),rested on the tree in front of me and touched it off, the lock hang fired. It appeared the buck dropped and crouched backward before the gun went off. I thought I missed, so I got down and looked for blood, I didn't find any and headed back to the truck. Back at the truck I got that feeling that I should go back and look one more time so I did. About 100 yards from where I shot the buck I found a bed with about a thimble full of blood in it and a few pinhead sized flecks of blood leaving the bed that were very hard to follow in the dark. I decided to back off and come back the next morning.

The next morning I went off in the hollow in the direction where the deer was headed but didn't find any blood, I walked up the whole hollow and back to where I took the shot and started over. This time I could follow the tiny flecks of blood right back to where I had been in the hollow and up the other side, we are talking a pinhead size fleck of blood every 10 to 15 yards. I followed the trail to a depression on the hillside up the ridge that had 3 beds in it, the newest had fresh blood in it but only about a teaspoon. The buck had been watching his back trail and obviously had run over the ridge when I made my first foray up the hollow.

I looked all morning on the ridge and later in the day I found 3 drops of blood where the buck had gone off the ridge down an almost vertical drop into a deep creek bottom I didn't have permission to go on and could have never recovered a deer from if I did, I lost the deer, a real bummer.

And folks, that is the reality of a flintlock, when they work right they are great, but they don't always work just right. Try to kill an alert squirrel with one and you will see what I mean, the little rascal won't be where he was when your gun goes off. Don't even think about shooting at a deer that is looking at you, I guarantee he will move faster than the lock of your gun.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:34:27 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 10:03:11 am »
In the late 19th century a gunsmith created a highly advanced form of the Wheel Lock. This was a exercise in design rather than expected to be commercially viable.
The advanced wheel lock proved to be as fast and reliable in ignition as cartridge arms of the day.

I believe only a handful were made , perhaps only one. It was in the form of a dueling pistol or target pistol.

I've considered trying to make a wheel lock using commonly available cigarette lighter type flints, or those used in friction lighters for butane torches. The wheel could be compact with an enclosed clock spring drive, similar to the recoil spring of the Lewis Gun.

I had tried striking sparks using natural iron pyrites but these crumbled into separate crystal like chunks with very little pressure.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 10:26:47 am »
This buck dropped at least foot when I took the shot, I spined him, the visible hole in his neck was a coup de grāce to finish him off while he was thrashing on the ground. The gun is my 12 ga smoothie mentioned in the above story.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 06:40:58 pm »
Here's a PDF file of plans for constructing a Wheel Lock action.
https://strzelecka.net/obrazki/Wheellock_Plans.pdf

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 06:55:26 pm »
Here's a PDF file of plans for constructing a Wheel Lock action.
https://strzelecka.net/obrazki/Wheellock_Plans.pdf

That is quite the fascinating piece of equipment. I really like the entire idea behind it and am going to study the crap out of these drawings. Being a fabricator, thats right up my wheelhouse.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:19 pm »
Interesting plans, not exactly how I was taught technical drawing, but I'm sure I could figure it out.  I'd love to see the finished product!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 09:00:02 am »
OK guys, come backdown to earth, wheel locks are so complicated that even the very best builders in the country don't attempt to make one, there are a few that do but they are few and far between.

This is an assembled wheel lock kit from the Rifle Shop, would you want to hunt with a gun outfitted this way?

Should you attempt this kit keep in mind that all the parts are rough castings straight out of a foundry, all the machining, polishing and basic shaping, plus tempering and hardening the parts is up to you.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:05:23 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 10:05:21 am »
Isn't that the lock system the early Spanish Arqubusers used back in the 16th century?  Those weapons must have been the cost equivalent of a modern field artillery piece.

Offline Eric Krewson