Author Topic: Spalled some  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Spalled some
« on: July 25, 2021, 02:38:10 pm »
I was finally able to spall some of the rock I picked up about a month ago, I still have a ton left but it's hard to find the time. This was a great learning experience for me and I'm glad I was able to do it. The clear/purple crystal is super hard and wanted to splinter and break at right angles all the time to that was tough, made a lot of gravel out of that stuff. When it held together it made razor sharp flakes and sometimes had red in it too. I also was able to get some great spalls off of some cream calico looking stone that broke very well. That was almost like blade production I was able to just keep working from one face knocking off big flakes or spalls. The dark red stuff is top grade chert and I only worked one stone but it was a dream, I got my biggest pieces from that. I did break off the back 1/4 of that red core so that hurt but I learned. Here's some pics, it was almost dark when I stopped.

In the woods I find my peace

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Spalled some
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:09:18 am »
Looks like you should be able to get something from those.
Might help giving them a little cooking time.

Make sure you and the little guy have eye protection.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 08:53:13 am »
Looks like you should be able to get something from those.
Might help giving them a little cooking time.

Make sure you and the little guy have eye protection.

Bjrogg

I always wear safety glasses when I Knapp, and he loves rocks but I don't Knapp when he is awake so he is safe. He did put on gloves and help me clean up the next morning : )

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 09:20:28 am »
You won't crumble and make as much gravel if you use a softer basher instead of the steel hammer. The steel is too hard and sends shock waves to fast into the stone. Try a rock, moose billet or heavy copper bopper or hammer. And it looks like some of it could use a little heat treating.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:34:50 pm »
You won't crumble and make as much gravel if you use a softer basher instead of the steel hammer. The steel is too hard and sends shock waves to fast into the stone. Try a rock, moose billet or heavy copper bopper or hammer. And it looks like some of it could use a little heat treating.

I can't afford a 10lbs copper hammer lol, I was just using the steel her to try and crack into that big ol rock. It ended up falling apart at different weather seams running through it, then I switched to sandstone hammer. I wish I had some big antler billets, they are on my "someday" list. From what I understand the bigger the piece the more likely to explode, so would I spall it first or should I pop a 5-10lbs chunk in the roaster?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 09:40:17 pm »
You wil have better results if you spall it. heating large rocks is doable but time consuming and reheating as you reduce it in size.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?