Author Topic: Osage belly and/or parallel split  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Kidder

Osage belly and/or parallel split
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:16 am »
So I’ve got what looks like a really nice Osage stave - relatively straight and problem free with real nice growth rings. It’s also a pretty large stave - approximately 2.5 inches deep on the thinnest end and 3 inches wide through the middle 24 inches (2.5 inches at the narrowest end). I want to get the most out of this (conservatively) as I can’t even look at an Osage tree without driving 1,000 miles. Can I get a belly split off of this stave? Can I get a lengthwise parallel split off the outer belly split? I have a bandsaw if that helps. Thanks!

Offline Hamish

Re: Osage belly and/or parallel split
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:05:59 am »
I'd do a belly split. I use small cold chisels to follow the chosen ring on the end grain, then extend it down both edges of the stave.

Its slow going, but if you are patient, and not force it before it wants to split you should get a pretty clean split. The rings are quite prominent so it makes them easy to follow.

You could bandsaw it too, but the cut won't follow the shape of the growth ring along the stave, like splitting does. You probably have enough meat for that not to matter, and you just chase a clean ring with a scraper. Also it won't matter if you want to glue on some boo, or hickory.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 06:38:30 am »
Well, it appears it still needs chased to an unviolated ring for a selfbow back, and that will further thin and narrow it a little. So I wouldn't make any decisions until I had that done.

Then it depends on how you like your bows. There would be only one good selfbow in there for me. But one possibility I see, potentially, would be to flatten and then rip a 1/2"+ piece off the side and/or belly to be backed with bamboo. Maybe that could be done, maybe not, hard to say without actually having it in our hands... we can't see it like you can.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:41:31 pm »
I see only a belly split possible. As Kidder said, first chase a ring. I would suggest clean up the sides too, before you make a decision.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 11:56:01 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I’ll chase a ring, clean up the sides a bit and then reassess. I’d have no experience doing belly splits. Would I be better off band-sawing it or actually splitting it?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:00:28 am »
Probably not a good idea learning on a valuable osage stave, though it can be done. You just need to be very patient. If it starts to go bad stop at that point, take the mini wedges out and try the other end.

You have to start some time if you want to do inner splits, but honestly you are going to be much safer using a bandsaw.
Leave the experimentation of trying inner splits when you get a log/stave of something less valuable, or of billet length.