Author Topic: Euonymus sapling kids bow 39#/26” (No. 122)  (Read 1642 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Euonymus sapling kids bow 39#/26” (No. 122)
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:47:20 pm »
Just realized, I have forgotten to post some bows here.
Here is the first, the other two are coming soon.

This little sapling with only 1” diameter at handle came from my garden while clearing the hedge. It was cut last autumn. Two huge knots, one I could layout in the handle the other is lower midlimb. Some minor knots are on the upper limb. I let the knotted areas stiffer and accepted a shorter draw length of 26”.
The cross section is rounded, I hadn’t enough wood to go for any other design. This wood is more or less white and gets a yellowish touch with the time. The early wood is nearly invisible and the strtucture is very homogenous. It can be polished like bone, it is light, soft and very flexible.
The string is mounted with a knot on the lower tip, on the upper is a glue soaked hemp wrapping forming a shoulder for the string eye. No notch or such on this stick, just tapering out tips.
I’m always astound, how little wood is needed for a serious bow.

dw/dl:       39”/26”
ntn:      56½”
bh:       4½”

mass:      262 gram
w max:   1”

design:
deflex sapling, round, asymmetrical
bendy handle
species: euonymus europaeus

08”:    06,0
10”:    09,3   (+ 3,3)
12”:    12,7   (+ 3,4)
14”:   15,9   (+ 3,2)
16”:    19,3   (+ 3,4)
18”:    22,8   (+ 3,5)
20”:    26,6   (+ 3,8)
22”:    30,5   (+ 3,9)
24”:    34,6   (+ 4,1)
26”:     38,8   (+ 4,2)

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bentstick54

Re: Euonymus sapling kids bow 39#/26” (No. 122)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:29:17 pm »
Great little bow. Nice wok as always.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:41:43 pm »

Good thing you cut it down, the fruit of these plants is deadly toxic and attractive to children.
Probably should wrap the grip and seal the wood well since some plant toxins can poison by contact, especially if it acts as an allergen.

I'm about to start on a similar slender sapling bow. I'm using the upper trunk of an immature , though sizeable black walnut. The lower trunk is probably the better choice though neither have any real heartwood to speak of.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 10:35:39 pm »
Sweet little stick Simson
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline simson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 03:51:13 am »

Good thing you cut it down, the fruit of these plants is deadly toxic and attractive to children.
Probably should wrap the grip and seal the wood well since some plant toxins can poison by contact, especially if it acts as an allergen.

I'm about to start on a similar slender sapling bow. I'm using the upper trunk of an immature , though sizeable black walnut. The lower trunk is probably the better choice though neither have any real heartwood to speak of.

Toxic: same as yew, golden chain tree, and many others ...
When the wood is dry it isn't that problem, and of course the whole bow is sealed.

Btw. this is a quick and rough made bow. And it shoots remarkable, I'm always again surprised how quick a weapon could be made out of just a little sapling ...

Thanks all
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 04:30:42 pm »
I can't see the pics.  I always thought this wood was supposed to be very hard? It sounds almost like whitewood yew by your description.

I know where there is a patch of this species growing nearby but I'm not sure if it's the native or introduced variety. Might cut a stick and check it out.

Offline simson

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 10:24:11 am »
I can't see the pics.  I always thought this wood was supposed to be very hard? It sounds almost like whitewood yew by your description.

I know where there is a patch of this species growing nearby but I'm not sure if it's the native or introduced variety. Might cut a stick and check it out.

I assume the different species of euonymus have more or less the same qualities.
I found this wood a bit harder than yew and a bit higher sg. Good thing is, it is very flexible and very homogenous (nearly invisible early wood). So it is may be a good candidate for core wood in composites. At least here it is hard to find good staves for selfbows, as it is more or less a bush and it is often twisted.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 10:39:53 pm »
Some of these woods are called Spindle wood and are extremely hard and durable when used to make spindles for spinning yarn or thread.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:46:10 am »
Good for you. Nice bow. Thee euonymous in my yard is tiny even though it is over 30 y/o. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline simson

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 04:37:13 pm »
Some of these woods are called Spindle wood and are extremely hard and durable when used to make spindles for spinning yarn or thread.

Euyonimus europaeus is 'spindletree', this wood isn't that hard but as said very homogenous.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany