Author Topic: Ishi Stick Repair  (Read 1514 times)

Offline RickB

Ishi Stick Repair
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:07:27 pm »
Ishi Stick Repair

I recently had to repair my delrin ishi stick after both of the set screws had wallowed out. To repair it I took
out the old screws and put the stick in a vice to hold it down with one of the holes facing sideways toward me.
I then got a 1/4" set screw which was a larger diameter than the one that came with the stick. After putting the
new set screw on a wrench I got it very hot by using a propane torch. I then screwed the new set screw into
the ishi stick as it melted it's way through. I let it cool until the delrin hardened and screwed it in a little more
to break it free from the delrin. I then unscrewed it and took the set screw out. Did the same thing to the other
side of the stick. Before putting both of the new screws and copper rod back, I did have to do a little clean up
on the outside with a file and poke out the inside of the stick as a little melted delrin was left as residue. It's now
working just fine and hope it will last for awhile longer.

Looking to see if any of you have done this before or if you did it a different way
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:51:10 pm by RickB »

Offline JEB

Re: Ishi Stick Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:42:42 pm »
Sounds like a good fix. Or you could have drilled 2 new holes opposite of the two already drilled and re tapped it. Either way works.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Ishi Stick Repair
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:50:16 am »
I don't use set screws. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr