Author Topic: Why do people have bow quivers upside down?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Fox

Why do people have bow quivers upside down?
« on: August 11, 2021, 12:05:06 am »
I always see people with bow quivers so that the fletching are facing the ground and the points are up, is there a real reason for this? I always put mine the other way around ???
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Why do people have bow quivers upside down?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:34:38 am »
you have touched on a pet peeve of mine...I don't blame anyone...except maybe the quiver makers that do not include instructions with their quivers.  I have seen way too many quivers mounted out past the fades and into the working limbs.  It is not only dangerous but it really can make the bow shoot poorly.  Thanks for bringing this up.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 02:07:41 am »
I suspect some feel having a sharp pointed object pointing downward might be more likely to result in accidentally sticking them self or a companion in the leg when moving about in close quarters like a hide or tree stand.
Ordinarily when a bayonet is fixed one keeps a rifle in a muzzle up position whether slung or carried.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 02:10:57 am »
I use a side draw back quiver, I can lash it to a backpack if needed.  Keeps visible movement to a minimum with some practice.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 07:11:04 am »
Well, I think it’s more stealthy having the fletchings lower.  If your body has cover, then so do your fletchings.  Having the fletchings stick up is kind of like waving a flag.  Also, it keeps broadheads from getting wet and rusting.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 08:34:39 am »
If you walk through the woods with the fletchings up, brush will kick your arrows out of the quiver. With the fletching down and the front in the cover, brush slide off unnoticeable.
Don

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 09:28:25 am »
So it’s just preference pretty much… not some weight on your bow accuracy thing or something silly like that  (lol)

I’ve always had mine fletch up and never have problems with it. I did once stick myself in the leg really good with a broad head…. But I didn’t have a quiver when I did that  ;D

I find it way easier to see what points I have if the fletching are up, and I can draw a arrow from it much faster

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 09:39:53 am »
For balance I would much rather shoot or hunt without the quiver on my bow. I just can't find another option that works for me with the other gear I like to have with me
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 10:33:39 am »
I don't like a bow quiver on a selfbow but with my glass bows I do like a bow quiver although I rarely shoot my glass bows and not only with a bow quiver. As a hunter having the fletch down and the head safely in the hood of the quiver there is less flagging than if the fletching is facing up and less likely snagging on brush.
 Everything about this sport is personal preference. Whatever works best for you is the way you should go. Trying to please others only takes away from the concentration of the shot. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 12:40:02 pm »
No you don't. Are you serious? I've seen too many bow quivers in use to count, but up to this point I've never seen a single person, or even heard of one, who has their bow quiver on so that the fletchings are pointing upwards. The lay of the feathers catching on brush and weeds while walking instead of sliding by them harmlessly, the hood too, feathers sticking up in the air when shooting, that all seems so obviously backwards to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm a back quiver guy myself.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 10:33:35 pm »
Don't your fletches point up in a back quiver?

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 01:46:47 am »
No you don't. Are you serious? I've seen too many bow quivers in use to count, but up to this point I've never seen a single person, or even heard of one, who has their bow quiver on so that the fletchings are pointing upwards. The lay of the feathers catching on brush and weeds while walking instead of sliding by them harmlessly, the hood too, feathers sticking up in the air when shooting, that all seems so obviously backwards to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm a back quiver guy myself.

when I walk threw brush with my bow I have it facing so that the feathers don't get messed up (so the bow and quiver are bottom limb first)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 05:31:33 am »
Perhaps you like the quiver that way, cause you're crazy, crazy like a fox! (lol) :-D they didn't have a fox emoji, but the deer is obviously being chased by a fox.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 10:53:15 pm »
I use a back quiver,, what else is there,, :)

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 02:42:40 am »
So it’s just preference pretty much… not some weight on your bow accuracy thing or something silly like that  (lol)

I’ve always had mine fletch up and never have problems with it. I did once stick myself in the leg really good with a broad head…. But I didn’t have a quiver when I did that  ;D

I find it way easier to see what points I have if the fletching are up, and I can draw a arrow from it much faster

No....Stickhead told you the reasons!