Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Parnell

Sous Vide
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:14:46 pm »
I try to keep kitchen gadgets to a minimum.  Cast iron and good knives.  I use my dehydrator for jerky, I use my meat grinder/sausage maker.  My wife got me one of these Sous Vide gizmos for Christmas last year.  I didn’t just dive into it.  Over the last months, having time, I focused a lot of attention on developing some new culinary skills and put this device to use.  Glad I did.

Sous Vide means “in vacuum” in French.  Whatever is being cooked goes into a freezer ziplock or vacuum sealer bag.  Important to stick with these because of the issue with the chemicals in plastics when heated up…no bueno.  This technique works better for lean meats and the beauty of it is you bring the package to a very exact temperature in the water bath.  The water never touches the meat so it doesn’t boil, overcook, or lose its flavor to the water.  Perfectly cooked meats result.  Recently, I’ve done Porterhouse steaks, a rolled and tied pork belly, turkey legs, pasteurized eggs for edible raw cookie dough, and…a venison shoulder and leg.

What’s great is you can leave lean, tough cuts at the precise, say medium rare temperature for extended times which really helps to break down sinewy toughness.  The turkey legs just fell apart.  The venison shoulder was remarkably tender having been cooked at 130 degrees for about 20 hours.
A basic approach is to take the cooked portion, quick cool it in the fridge for 10 minutes and then sear the outside in a piping hot cast iron skillet.  This gives that beautiful outside crust.  The venison I’ve just done I left in the bag and refrigerated overnight.  The next day I sliced it up into cold cuts that were superb.  Texture like tender roast beef with that sort of cold lamb flavor.

I am curious if anyone else has fiddled with this and what you have found?  I have to say…this is not a useless kitchen gadget!  VERY useful and I would argue a key piece of equipment for anyone consuming game, and such.

Thanks,

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 01:15:47 pm »
Here is the turkey legs.  One seared, the other just having come out of the bag.
1’—>1’

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:47:09 pm »
ok... wow! that looks heavenly! like, Wow! i have seen other people on youtube use it (ive been trying to lean how to cook better too) and i thought it looked expensive for what it was. looking at prices now, i think ill have to look into it after i get myself a meat grinder.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 09:44:34 am »
My understanding is about a decade ago these machines were like $1000.  So, cheaper now but still pricey.  I do think the one we have is very well made and will last a long time.

If I were a young person I doubt I’d spend the $$$, but I guess that all depends on how serious someone is about cooking.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 11:50:03 pm »
I have thought about sous vide for making hide glue. Control of the temp is critical to making the best hide glue you can, overheating makes for a weaker glue.

Something to think about!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 01:57:57 am »
My understanding is about a decade ago these machines were like $1000.  So, cheaper now but still pricey.  I do think the one we have is very well made and will last a long time.

If I were a young person I doubt I’d spend the $$$, but I guess that all depends on how serious someone is about cooking.

Cooking is one of my stress reliefs and hobbies. i love it so much! the only bad part about it is the cleanup...  ::)

i also saw a pretty decent priced one and i was thinking if i save a small percentage of my checks i should be able to at least seriously look into something for my birthday. I have a little ongoing list that i keep including a good chefs knife, meat grinder, bow tools, ect... then again, the more tools i have, for the kitchen or otherwise, the more cleanup it seems i have to do lol  :P (lol) (lol)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 02:07:00 am by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 08:44:22 am »
JW!  Good thinking!  I’ll be looking to do that.

Well Russell, that’s another thing we’ve got in common!
1’—>1’

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 09:49:34 am »
Sounds like this device would be perfect for one of my favorite meals, Cabbage with potatoes, carrots and thin sliced polish sausage .
I cook the potatoes and cabbage only long enough to begin getting soft then add the carrots and sausage. I sear the sausage before hand. The veggies are done through but remain firm. Served with corn bread made with milk, butter and egg.
 Any leftovers, and there seldom are any, are cooked down a bit longer the next day to make cabbage soup.