Author Topic: Trad points  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Fox

Trad points
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:52:46 am »
I've smithed a few trad points out of some files, but they took really forever and were a pain to smith because of being so little to hold onto.... how do you all make metal trad points? :P
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Trad points
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:48:16 am »
I assume you are talking about trade points. You can cut them out of old saw blades, circular saws, wide band saws or even hand saws. There may even be folks on Trading Post that would trade with you for them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 10:55:07 am »
yeah that's what I mean pat :P
right that makes sense just cutting them from saw blades or the likes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:10:12 pm »
Yes, and most saw blades have excellent steel. Band saws and older circular saw blades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 07:23:29 am »
I make trade points from the steel bands from old whiskey barrels.  One barrel will make a lot of arrow heads.  10 minutes with a hacksaw and a file and ready to go. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 03:19:43 pm »
I wonder if the old steel bands from a plater boy would work?  Is there any simple way to determine the type of steel in the bands?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 05:15:55 pm »
Circular saw blades that get used up will make more heads than you can kill deer with in a long time. I used  plain shaft tapered back and a hole that goes right at the tip of the tip of the arrow. I slide a piece of sinew through the hole that was wet and chewed. pull it down and wrap it around the shaft to pull the head in tighter and lash the back of the broad head stem. Several pieces of sinew and a night drying and they are ready to go.

Here is a PDF file of my template for 125 grain heads with the hole in it. Print the paper and glue it right on the blade to cut them out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW1vidYJhc9aY7PIaHSMd_wDM2eQyEOz/view?usp=sharing

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 01:10:02 am »
Circular saw blades that get used up will make more heads than you can kill deer with in a long time. I used  plain shaft tapered back and a hole that goes right at the tip of the tip of the arrow. I slide a piece of sinew through the hole that was wet and chewed. pull it down and wrap it around the shaft to pull the head in tighter and lash the back of the broad head stem. Several pieces of sinew and a night drying and they are ready to go.

Here is a PDF file of my template for 125 grain heads with the hole in it. Print the paper and glue it right on the blade to cut them out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lW1vidYJhc9aY7PIaHSMd_wDM2eQyEOz/view?usp=sharing

Awesome! that looks really good! thanks for the PDF im defiantly using that!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:37:45 am »
Hopefully, will have some blanks ready based on the point from Dances With Wolves courtesy of Rich - modified to be legal in most if not all states.  Will try to post when I get them.   I think theangle ginger is too rough, and the hacksaw takes too long >:D (lol)!
Hawldancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 03:29:12 pm »
I just learned how to use a plasma cutter; what do you think of using that for cutting trade points from a bandsaw blade?  maybe a little off topic unless Fox has one.

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:14:01 pm »
I don't have a plasma cutter but I do have access to a metal bandsaw, I wonder if that would work?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 12:02:19 am »
Probably better, it wouldn't burn the edges, but I think it would be slower.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 01:58:19 am »
I was under the impression that most steel or iron arrowheads used by Indians were roughed out of barrel hoops and similar scrap metal by use of a chisel.

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 04:18:19 am »
Heck, I've got 4,000 lifetimes supplies if barrel hoops can be used - I'm in the process of pulling apart a couple hundred or so wine barrels. Might have to put a couple aside for 'ron and have a go myself  :OK

If Fox doesn't mind a question....

Do they require heat treatment/hardening at all?