Author Topic: When to harvest Stinging Nettles?  (Read 7963 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
When to harvest Stinging Nettles?
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:30:50 pm »
I will be making bow strings and using this material as a backing on bows. Does anyone know when is the best time of year to harvest Stinging Nettle for its fibre?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

Re: When to harvest Stinging Nettles?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
the last post on page 1 gives a good explanation of nettle http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3744.0.html
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:27:59 am »
The ideal time is probably just before it dies back in the fall, but I've used it anytime after it matures in mid-summer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:31:03 pm »
Thanks Ryan! Its already got a good start here in the NW and is full grown by July. May wait till mid July before harvesting the tons of it I have on some property here. Grows like a nasty weed up here!

David T

PS: I am now totally and completely addicted to making everything I shoot in archery from what I find in the woods! Its and addiction I love!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Allen7

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:42 pm »
Right now is the time to harvest stinging nettle for making stinging nettle pie.   I had some great nettle pie when I was at the horseback archery competition in British Columbia.   It was very tasty!   For obvious reasons, you have to harvest it when it is young if you are going to eat it.

Allen - Happy Knapper

perry

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:24:44 am »
Forgive me for asking this question out of turn  I do not mean to hijack the thread , down here stinging nettle is an introduced species and I would say the same applies with harveting its fibre's down here just 6 months apart due to being in the Southern Hemisphere.
Could someone post a photo of the US type of stinging nettle so I can see if its the same  . Also down here a native fern called Bracken fern always grows close by when you rub it on a stinging nettle rash it disappears , great after a belly stalk through the stuff after game  ;D. Is there a local plant that has the same effect in the states .

regards Jacko

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:06 pm »
Perry here is a link to the image of the nettles we have up in the Northwest arround my house:

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:15 am »
David, just make sure you dont harvest it when your in the woods without any paper and nature calls.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

perry

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:01 pm »
Thanks for the photo D , thats the same plant we have here . As a footnote Stinging Nettle actually makes a pretty good cup of tea and after you have brewed your cuppa well the plant makes a tasty side dish - sorta like spinich . Boiling destroys the sting . I'm sure Mr Zimmerman would have covered this plant at some stage . 

Do you folks have a local plant that nulifies the stinging that grows nearby ?

Do you ret the plant down to extract the fibres like I have read with flax ?

regards Jacko

jape

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:46 pm »
For stings 'dock' is best and usually found near nettles too, works immediately when 'stingeze' and so on doesn't.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=RUOB

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:11:43 pm »
hey tiier the info your getting is correct, late in summer, right befor fall, sometimes right at fall you need to keep checking once in awhile. to see how it will break down. also. this is the time of the year for harvesting nettles to eat.pick the young leaves and rub them, between your hands. they are very tasty!!!! and there good for joint  pains as you rub them on the joint.  later ---robustus

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:17:31 pm »
James you are definatly into PAIN! Rub stinging nettle leaves all over your hands? OUCH!!! You go ahead but I think I will boil them then eat them!  ;D