Author Topic: Tuskers  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Tuskers
« on: August 13, 2021, 10:40:57 pm »
Ran in to some heat treat issues so decided to go with some glue on points, being that were about 4 weeks away from my elk hunt.

Bought some Tusker Concords so thought I'd do a little review.  I'm not going full primitive cause, well, I haven't been able to make and elk worthy bow...white tail worthy sure, but not elk worthy.  But that's beside the point.

Anyway, I really want to love these, but I'm not sure if I'll purchase again.

Pros: I like how the tack welded ferrule isn't incorporated as a full length/width layer the way Zwickey's are.  I find that it's hard to get the burr off of a Zwickey with the main blade sandwiched the way they do and most glue ons are too wide for my tastes..  I like the shape of these Concords and that they're closer to 3:1 dimensions.

Cons: 1 out of the 6 just wont sharpen, probably a subpar heat treat.  The factory edges aren't edges at all and I'm glad I have a belt grinder or it would be painful to get an edge on them.  The ferrules look like they missed an appointment with a mandrel, none are round or the right size.  None of these can be mounted without crimping the ferrule in various places with needle nose pliers to get them centered and true.  They are not spring tempered either, tempered too soft in my opinion.

But $30 for 6 isn't a bad price and I got what I paid for.

Edit: this isn't my pic, mine come out 10 sizes too big.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:48:33 pm by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tuskers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 11:42:18 pm »
I had some Zwickeys that were single bevel and the six of them NEVER took an edge. I should have sent them back. I never thought that maybe they just didn't get a proper heat treatment.

I got some Tuskers in trade here long ago and those stinkers were great at holding an edge. They had a little of a tanto tip, so they were very unlikely to have a problem with curling the tip over and robbing the arrow of penetration. I would happily buy Tuskers again.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:57:35 am »
Yep. You get what you pay for. I had the same issues.... Crooked ferrules, inconsistent heat treat, poor quality control. A little more expensive but I'll stick with Meatheads.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 12:57:28 am »
Update

I emailed Tusker today and got a prompt response.  They said to mail them back (to Australia) and they'd replace them and refund my purchase.

So I responded and said I appreciate that they want to make it right but customs and International shipping would not be worth it.  And added that I want to see them succeed so if they'll take my feedback for what it's worth then that's good enough for me right now.

Even if I'm not happy with a product, I respect a company who goes the extra length to make it right.  Might even give them a second chance next year.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
I bought some concords. I got around to work with them today. I simply could not get them to take an edge. I should have tested the hardness.

I loaded up the woodsman instead. They sharpened up nice in very little time.
Don

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:50:11 pm »
I bought 6 Concordes  over a month ago. Were a bit of a challenge to sharpen cause they're pretty thick. They sharpened right up. Practice shots in a broadhead target held up nice. Not being a smart aleck or make anybody mad but, temper won't keep them from taking an edge. Bad temper will make the not keep an edge. If any body has some Concordes they don't want just send the my way. Would appreciate it. ;D
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 03:42:19 pm »
I don't think anyone mentioned temper. No temper after heat treat would make them brittle. Bad temper after heat treat could leave them brittle or make the to soft depending how it's bad.
Don

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:32 am »
Was afraid my post would be taken wrong.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman