Author Topic: I hate quivers  (Read 9183 times)

Offline Mesophilic

I hate quivers
« on: August 13, 2021, 10:54:42 pm »
Anyone got some quiver suggestions?  Spot n stalk style hunting in rough rocky mountain terrain.

I've tried bow mounted, hip, back, and plains style.  Each has their pros and cons...some rattle too much, others just get in the way.  Can't figure out how to wear a back quiver with a pack on and keep the arrows accessible.   Side quivers hang up in undergrowth too much.  Plains style  make me feel like I've always got to hold on to it with my hand when I'm covering ground to keep it from shifting or bouncing.  Bow mounted just throw off the balance of the bow too much  for my taste.

Edit: I've even tried mounting a bow quiver to a stick and slinging it with mixed results.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline StickMark

Re: I hate quivers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:54:34 pm »
No  suggestions here, but I hear the frustration

Crawling with a back quiver, not easy.
In my Redwing recurve days, I started with a bow quiver, and that made belly crawling easy as pie...the joys of Arizona hunting.

I am using back quivers, but sometimes for the final stalk, I take two arrows and leave the quiver with the boots,  ;D.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 08:01:32 am »
I'm with you on this. I've gone back to bow mounted, it seems like the lesser of the evils, but I'm still looking.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 09:01:49 am »
This is the quiver I use for hunting. It is an old Selway bow quiver I disassembled and attached the broadhead cover and arrow holder to a piece of wood and added a shoulder strap. It hangs conveniently by my side for normal carry or can be slipped behind me for stalking or slipped tightly under my arm to carry in tight spaces. It holds the arrows securely and for safe, quiet carry.
 I covered the wood body with snake skin and I have a fleece fletch cover I can use during foul weather or to hide the fletching. I keep this cover wrapped around the body of the quiver when not in use.

If you'd like a better pics I will take some for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:32:04 pm »
It hangs conveniently by my side for normal carry or can be slipped behind me for stalking or slipped tightly under my arm to carry in tight spaces. It holds the arrows securely and for safe, quiet carry.

<snip>

If you'd like a better pics I will take some for you.

I like the looks of this. I'd like to see pics of your various carry positions.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
I'll get my wife to take a few pics this afternoon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 01:08:20 pm »
Pat, I've tried a couple similar to that, but with a pack on, I can't ever get the strap to cooperate and the dang things dangle where I don't want them to.

But you've given me an idea.  I'm going to try to see if I an think of a way to do either a second strap or a cross body strap.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 05:28:23 pm »
When I hunted in Colorado we hiked in about 2 miles. I had the quiver attached to my full backpack and carried my bow in my hand. I wear a fanny pack when hunting and it never got in the way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 05:40:15 pm »
Here are a few pics, Mark...

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 09:55:35 pm »
Here are a few pics, Mark...

Thanks, Pat. That clears it up for me.

Mark

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 07:43:57 am »
With a backpack I usually take a quiver in the style of a "high noon hunter" by Bobby Ratcliff.  I attach it to the backpack so that I can grab an arrow at any time.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 08:30:21 am »
I tend to be a wuss. When I sit most mornings I need a heavy coat, but then I usually still hunt to warm up. On a decent day by 10 or 11 the coat needs to come off. That and something to sit on are the reasons for the pack. I've just had a hard time finding anything short of a bow quiver that works reasonably. I've been thinking of making a 2 arrow bow quiver in conjunction with a pack quiver, I was just hoping to find something not on the bow to work.
Don

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 11:30:54 am »
I tend to be a wuss. When I sit most mornings I need a heavy coat, but then I usually still hunt to warm up. On a decent day by 10 or 11 the coat needs to come off. That and something to sit on are the reasons for the pack. I've just had a hard time finding anything short of a bow quiver that works reasonably. I've been thinking of making a 2 arrow bow quiver in conjunction with a pack quiver, I was just hoping to find something not on the bow to work.

When I did a lot of walking starting out on a cool morning which quickly turned into a hot day I kept a light folding pack in my jacket pocket. Its a nylon sack about the size of a small pillow case with draw string closure at the top each end of the draw strings are attached to the lower corners to form shoulder straps.
We used to make basically the same type of impromptu back pack in the Scouts using whatever sturdy sacking was available.
When not in use its completely out of the way and when in use can be used as pack or shoulder bag.
When camping out you can stuff it with dry leaves to use as a pillow or seat cushion.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 06:13:17 pm »
I use what Pat showed, I made up several for old bow quivers and ones I got use to carrying them I love them. I also usually carry a day pack so back quivers don't work and hate a quiver on my bow.

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 02:09:00 am »
It just occurred to me that the old tube type belt quiver that came with by Bear Black Fox bow would fit neatly in the opening of the pocket pack I described, held tightly by the drawstrings. A piece of sponge or rolled up wash cloth could be stuffed in the quiver to keep the arrows from rattling around or falling out. I may give that a try.

As it is I found a really nice cowhide quiver at a discount that I'm very pleased with. Its intended as a belt quiver but I added a strap to make it an across the back quiver. It has several D rings that allow various methods of carry.

I normally only use three arrows at a time while practicing in the backyard so I generally hold two in the bow had against the grip while one is nocked. I can make follow up shots fairly quickly this way so if hunting that's probably the way I'd go. Most primitive hunters on foot seem to do the same.
Hunters carried fewer arrows than those on the war path. They weren't going to waste any.