Author Topic: I hate quivers  (Read 9185 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: I hate quivers
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 08:51:00 am »
Carrying 3 broadheads in your hand while hunting sounds pretty dangerous to me. I once cut the bowstring that way. Bow string is annoying. Vital artery is a different story.
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 11:35:34 am »
Meso....
I use a version of a cat quiver.They've been around for 50 some years.Here's my version from critters I kill and tan.
If you look closely you can see my milk weed wind detector dispenser still in it's pod center of my chest.Seeds are removed and the fluff is reinserted.Very lightweight quiver.Crawling or climbing it stays put out of the way for me.Going through overhead brush it does'nt catch either.
Fisher coon

Retrieving arrows with little arm movement to spook game.

I use a split dogwood shaft sewn into the opening of the belly of the critter.A bobcat version shown too.I make these out of beef rawhide too resembling a tube.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:52:09 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 12:39:32 pm »
Ed, thanks for posting! 

I had been trying to figure out just how to do that but the missing piece is the wooden frame contraption.  Glad you posted this.  I'm going to look through my materials and see if I can make one.

Have you written a book yet?  Someone with connections to publishers...say Primitive Archer...should get with you for a book deal.  Maybe even a collaboration, so you just go about your business and an author does the writing.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 01:07:57 pm »
It took me a minute to figure out what kind of monster coon had claws like in the first picture. LOL!!
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 01:34:05 pm »
I also use a side stalker style quiver for target shooting and 3D shoots. Easier to use in those settings for me. I made this one for a friend. I use a tapered wood plug in the end for cleaning purposes and when replace the foam broadhead protector is needed.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 05:00:53 pm »
Ed, thanks for posting! 

I had been trying to figure out just how to do that but the missing piece is the wooden frame contraption.  Glad you posted this.  I'm going to look through my materials and see if I can make one.

Have you written a book yet?  Someone with connections to publishers...say Primitive Archer...should get with you for a book deal.  Maybe even a collaboration, so you just go about your business and an author does the writing.
[/quote

Mesophilic.....For a 24" long quiver take a green tapered dogwood or some similar shoot of 3/8" thickness on the big end 22" long.Tie off with artificial sinew or better yet real sinew [glaze over with shellack later after dried]5" from the big end and 5" from the narrower end.Split very carefully the center 12".Use wedges to hold it apart in a crescent shape with the center around 3" wide.Let it dry a few weeks and it'll stay that way.Sew it to your split bellied critter.
If made right these leather fur type quivers don't rattle the shafts either while stalking or roving.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:40:40 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 06:27:46 pm »
I use a version of a cat quiver

Would the term come from the slight resemblance to a sun dried road kill cat?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 06:44:52 pm »
The term cat quiver comes from it's silent,stealthy and hidden usage.Just as a cat hunts.No outside arm movement from the body to spook game getting another arrow.If you hunt using it there's no misunderstanding the reason for the name.
Here's the build-a-long of the bobcat quiver mesophilic.I've shortened up the carrying strap since then.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67590.0.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:43:03 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 11:39:44 am »
Thanks again, now I got me some reading to do this afternoon.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2021, 01:32:25 pm »
About the cat and back quivers: how do you make sure that razor sharp broadheads don't scrape up or wreck the bottom of the quiver? I love the look of these!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

gutpile

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2021, 03:12:50 pm »
I can turn my plains quiver upside down and arrows still stay in.. love it.. can carry on front, side or slip to where it rides on top of tailbone... I shoot only woodies or cane out of it.. no carbon or aluminum .. dead quite too.. no rattling or noises..to me the absolute best quiver there is.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2021, 05:33:42 pm »
Jon_W, I use a 1" to 2" thick foam in the bottom of a back quiver I made recently and on the side stalker style I attach it to the tapered end plug.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 07:56:06 pm »
Jon_W....A 1/4"  thick four inches deep veg tanned leather cup is at the bottom for broadheads.The scraping/damaging or cutting through as you refer to it from the broadheads through the veg tanned cup has never developed into a problem.I've used 1/8" thick sewn into a cup damp rawhide inserted and form fitted to be left to dry into the nose for this before too.Both type cups stay put in quiver and don't need to be replaced ever.At least not in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:01:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2021, 12:03:57 am »
That's an excellent quiver you've got there too Pat.I've made those before too out of harness leather.They are a bit heavier in weight though.
The shafts can rattle too as in my rawhide tube quiver unless a wad of grass is inserted in amongst the shafts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:29:59 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2021, 12:55:44 pm »
Carrying 3 broadheads in your hand while hunting sounds pretty dangerous to me. I once cut the bowstring that way. Bow string is annoying. Vital artery is a different story.

I stuck a broadhead in my leg last season  :fp (lol)

luckily didn't cut any arteries but it was quite deep not a pleasant experience
Why must we make simple things so complicated?