Author Topic: I hate quivers  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Fox

Re: I hate quivers
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2021, 12:56:39 pm »
I love your quivers bow Ed there really nice, I'm going to have to try that style
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2021, 01:44:51 pm »
Great build along, Ed. Gives me a couple of ideas for the full fox hide I have.  Maybe should practice with a lesser hide, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2021, 09:33:27 pm »

Mesophilic.....For a 24" long quiver take a green tapered dogwood or some similar shoot of 3/8" thickness on the big end 22" long.Tie off with artificial sinew or better yet real sinew [glaze over with shellack later after dried]5" from the big end and 5" from the narrower end.Split very carefully the center 12".Use wedges to hold it apart in a crescent shape with the center around 3" wide.Let it dry a few weeks and it'll stay that way.Sew it to your split bellied critter.
If made right these leather fur type quivers don't rattle the shafts either while stalking or roving.

I cut a shoot of elm, don't have many options here.  Split great and in my climate, I'll have it dry in 3 days  ;D
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 09:24:21 am »
That should do the trick for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 12:28:54 pm »
That should do the trick for ya.

It was dry, it was beautiful...and then I broke it  >:(

Going to try again with a new strategy.  Might switch to a fresh shoot of wild rose.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 04:39:45 pm »
Fresh shoot would be your best bet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 05:24:42 pm »

It was dry, it was beautiful...and then I broke it  >:(

Sounds like my typical bow build  (--)
Don

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2021, 12:53:15 pm »
Fresh shoot would be your best bet.

It was fresh.  Things dry out real fast here.  What takes weeks in the midwest or back east takes only days here.  But the dryness, consequently, things like wood end up alot more brittle.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2021, 01:02:09 pm »
as soon as you cut it, split it.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2021, 01:33:03 pm »
Can I just cut a hole in the side of the quiver and whip stitch it?

I've got a fur in, tube type quiver made from bear hide.  If I sling it on my lower back, I could cut an oval on the side facing away from me.  Whip stitch it and use that as an opening to pull arrows. 

Whatcha think?

My elm trees are getting a little bare as I keep trying to split branches for this project.  Not sure this rock elm/chinese elm hybrid is up to the stresses of bending and shaping.  My only other options are wild Rose's and pussy willow.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2021, 05:22:14 pm »
I have two Plains Style quivers (1 made of otter and one made of seal.) In both I cut a slit about 8 - 10 inches long in the lower third (right next to the stiffening rod) so that I can wear and use these quivers similar to the quivers presented by Bow Ed. The quivers are as long as the arrows and thus did arrows are well protected stowed in the quiver.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2021, 07:23:16 pm »
Can I just cut a hole in the side of the quiver and whip stitch it?

I've got a fur in, tube type quiver made from bear hide.  If I sling it on my lower back, I could cut an oval on the side facing away from me.  Whip stitch it and use that as an opening to pull arrows. 

Whatcha think?

My elm trees are getting a little bare as I keep trying to split branches for this project.  Not sure this rock elm/chinese elm hybrid is up to the stresses of bending and shaping.  My only other options are wild Rose's and pussy willow.
I always cut the hole center of the belly lengthwise 10 to 12 inches long.Not on the side.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline boxerboxer

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 12:30:01 pm »
Here are a few pics, Mark...

Selway currently makes a quiver pretty similar to this. It's meant to hang from your belt, but could be modified easily to be used the way you use yours.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 06:43:28 pm »
I'm trying out a Sidewinder hip adapter thingy.   Since I can't figure out how to post normal size pics, I'll have to let you google it.

Uses a bow mount quiver and it adapts that quiver to a belt attachment.   I put a leg retention strap on the bottom to keep it a little more stable.

So far so good.
-Homer Simpson-