Author Topic: Please look, tell me what you see, and tell me what, if anything should be done.  (Read 3320 times)

Offline ssrhythm

If you even think you have an opinion on this, speak up please.  A lot of us on here NEED your advice and critical eye.  I'm not looking for praise unless it is warranted; I'm looking to get better and better at this.

Look at the FD pics below and study the bend and get an idea about what you think is good/bad about it.

;

Offline ssrhythm

I've had a comment about it being a "fine tiller" job.
I've had a comment saying the bottom limb is bending too much.
The bow is canted toward the camera as best I can to have the pic perpendicular and square to the camera.

I personally always looked at the bottom limb and thought that it was bending too much also, but the tips were even on the tillering rack against the grid board behind it, and it always strings up to brace height of 6.5-7" with about 1/4 or slightly less Postive Tiller.  So I called it good and finished the bow.

Well....now, it strings up to 1/4" positive tiller after sitting overnight, and it strings up to 1/8" to 1/4" positive tiller after sitting for just an hour or so after shooting....BUT

after shooting it in a bit, the tiller will flip to slightly negative tiller.

This is making me think that Simson is correct and the bottom limb is bending too much and I'm overstressing it.

The bow is shooting great and spitting out an 8.83 gpp arrow at 174-177 fps...and a 10gpp arrow at 164-167 fps with a 6.75" brace height (last measurements today)...I just have not found high enough spine arrows for the heavy tips I want to hunt with (I have test packs of doug fir up to 100# on the way).

Should I leave it as is, or should I take some scrapes from the top limb? 

Without any help from y'all, I'm thinking maybe take a few scrapes off the outter 1/3 to 1/2 of the top limb to get it bending a bit more.  I'm thinking that would stress the bottom limb a little less and get the two limbs bending more equally in relation to each other...which would allow the bow to maintain a slightly positive tiller throughout a shooting session or a long hunt where it stays strung for hours. 

But I don't want to rely on just my thinking on this...I really would appreciate your eye and advice based on what you see and your experience with such issues.  Maybe this is no big deal and I should call it good and hunt with it, but if there is an obvious problem with a fairly simple solution, I want to try to deal with it now.   Thanks.

Offline airkah

So I would not start changing your bow because of what I think.

To me, it looks like its the inner third on the top limb thats a bit stiff. I see the bottom limb going into a sharper bend a fist length out of the fade than what the top is doing. I think the outer half of each limb matches up pretty well, the inner half of the limbs are what makes the string angle on each limb a little different.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

So I would not start changing your bow because of what I think.

To me, it looks like its the inner third on the top limb thats a bit stiff. I see the bottom limb going into a sharper bend a fist length out of the fade than what the top is doing. I think the outer half of each limb matches up pretty well, the inner half of the limbs are what makes the string angle on each limb a little different.

I was about to post practically the same thing.
More the upper limb not bending enough rather than the lower limb bending too much.

Offline hoosierf

The outer third on the top is stiffer.  The bottom generally is too soft.  Adjust the top and you might have positively tillered bow by 1/2”. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:05:53 am by hoosierf »

Offline hoosierf

As a side note, wood species and dimensions will get you a better answer. 

Offline sleek

If you even think you have an opinion on this, speak up please.  A lot of us on here NEED your advice and critical eye.  I'm not looking for praise unless it is warranted; I'm looking to get better and better at this.

Look at the FD pics below and study the bend and get an idea about what you think is good/bad about it.

;

Upper limb has a stiff spot in the inner third. It also seems to bend less than the lower limb. Fix the inner limb and you should be perfect.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ssrhythm

;

Here??

Offline sleek

Exactly
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bambule

Or turn the bow around. For a mediterranen Grip and the center of the bow over the middle of the bow it maybe works, that the bending will change for an even tiller.

Greetz

Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
I have a tillering stick as well as the tree. When I have questions about my bow like this I put it on the stick at full draw, lay it on the shop floor and draw an outline. Flip the bow and I can see exactly what's different. It helps sometimes.
Don

Offline TimBo

Does the top limb tilt back toward you just a smidge when you draw?  It looks like it is tipping that way, which would confirm that the top limb is a bit stiffer.

Offline hoosierf

Disregard my comment on the bottom limb.  I meant it’s bending more.  Don’t touch it. 

Offline airkah

Quote from: ssrhythm
  Here??

Yeah that area.

gutpile

top limb is a lil stiff for sure.. appears worse in the canted photo but the side view, its not as bad.. its there.. but not as bad as one photo appears.. gut