Author Topic: Monitoring set  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Monitoring set
« on: August 19, 2021, 09:23:46 am »
How do "you" monitor set as you are tillering
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Monitoring set
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:16:21 am »
Lay the bow on it's back and see where the tips and the limbs are in relation to the deck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 11:18:07 am »
I like badger's no set method where you monitor the draw weight for any loss as you work towards full draw length.

Mark

Offline airkah

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 12:11:15 pm »
For a flatbow- Lay it on its back and see if/how many fingers fit under the tip.

For a recurve- hold is so the tips barely touch the floor and see if/how many fingers fit under the handle and if the handle is level.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 04:01:11 pm »
I guess I did a poor job framing my question. These options tell me that the bow is taking set, but how do I know where?
Don

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 04:54:36 pm »
It's a good idea to trace the original profile of the bow on something (paper, cardboard, etc.) so you have it to compare.  Ask me if I ever remember to do that...but it's still a good idea!

Offline lonbow

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 05:08:17 am »
I like drawing pencil lines on the sides of the limbs. This helps me seeing the "real bend", when the stave is wonky. I also look at the lines when the bow is unbraced, so I can see where the set did take place and if it is even or uneven.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
Simple just draw the backs outline onto something, I put the bow on my tillering tree and then use a pencil to trace the back. I have the backboard painted white and put a piece of masking tape over it so I don't leave marks all over it.
check your set as soon as you unstring the bow.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 08:24:35 am »
I'm quite insecure about this, but, I think that the point where you see the profile begin to change then that is where the set is happening. I will sight along the edge of the bow and slide my finger down the edge to pinpoint the problem area

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 09:50:50 pm »
I just lay it back on the caul. Then I judge my disappointment.😁😁😁
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 09:42:56 am »
Simple just draw the backs outline onto something, I put the bow on my tillering tree and then use a pencil to trace the back. I have the backboard painted white and put a piece of masking tape over it so I don't leave marks all over it.
check your set as soon as you unstring the bow.

This is my technique, but my tree is mounted to a whiteboard.  I quickly trace it, then analyze the snot out of the curve at my leisure.