Author Topic: Tillering string not long enough  (Read 1629 times)

Offline DannyAttacksTheMountain

Tillering string not long enough
« on: August 21, 2021, 08:48:56 am »
Hey all,

I’m in process of my first bow build and am at the tillering phase. Unfortunately the 72” tillering string I got from three rivers is just a couple inches too short. With that being said, can I use 550 cord instead? My other options are sacrificing a bow string to tie onto the tillering string in order to make ends meet or making my own yet I’ll be waiting on materials after ordering. I’d like to just save $$ and time using the 550 cord but I’m not sure if it will be accurate since I’ll be placing a bow string on the bow once it’s complete.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering string not long enough
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 09:09:53 am »
I use a 550 cord for my initial tillering string. It's good until I get to low brace then I make a string for that bow and continue on from there.
 Try making another tillering string with a loop at one end and a bowyers knot at the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 11:16:21 am »
Paracord is fine for a tillering string, especially at the long string stage. It is very stretchy and you will need a better string to get to a low brace, but works OK at the beginning.

Mark

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:25:28 am »
Tie a short length of cord onto your tillering string, or, better, connect that  length to your string with a metal loop. This allows you to shorten the string by wrapping it back through the loop a few times so as you need to increase tension you can do so very easily.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:43:26 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 09:17:39 am »
Go buy some braided fishing line, something that is made from Spectra and make yourself a tillering string. Spectra is a similar material as a lot of fast flight strings are made of.

I am out of the loop as far as fishing line goes, perhaps some one here who fishes a lot can steer you to something cheap and suitable.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 01:00:06 pm »
Go buy some braided fishing line, something that is made from Spectra and make yourself a tillering string. Spectra is a similar material as a lot of fast flight strings are made of.

I am out of the loop as far as fishing line goes, perhaps some one here who fishes a lot can steer you to something cheap and suitable.
Amazon is the place to go for cheap braid. I use kastking for fishing now cause that’s what I have and it was really cheap and as good in my opinion as the pro line or spider wire I’ve used. There are others on amazon that are cheaper that have good reviews. I will be trying one of these when I run out of string material. I have used it for serving and it is tough stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 02:31:27 pm »
Looks like Walmart has a pretty good selection.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 06:52:26 pm »
Looks like Walmart has a pretty good selection.
Lucky. My local Walmart has an ever dwindling sporting goods section. Over the last 10 years I’ve seen it shrink from being a large portion of the store to being 3 aisles consisting mostly of items hunters and fishermen around here don’t use.  Gimmicky stuff that catches more inexperienced people than fish. The only braid available at my Walmart is spiderwire.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 08:17:42 pm »
something im wondering.... how long is your bow? i dont think ive seen a bow longer than 78"  (lol)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson