S.O.B.
« on: August 22, 2021, 12:16:42 am »
Michelobe Ultra Beer is good.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: S.O.B.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 03:32:01 pm »
There are many beers out there that are good!  I think it is up to the drinker to determine which is good!  Mojam Ale is also good!  (lol)(lol)!  That reminds me, I have to pit some more in the fridge!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:10:48 pm »
The most satisfying beer I've come across was a beer made from an Egyptian formula thousands of years old.
Only ran across it once at a festival in San Francisco in the late 90's.
This was the drink rationed to conscripted workers on civic projects. It had a lot of nutritional value compared to modern beers.

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 02:49:08 pm »
I'll pass.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 02:58:53 pm »
I think a brewer friend in Colorado has a similar beer in his taproom, or at least did in the old location.  Maybe I can talk him out of it! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 03:01:02 pm »
i once looked into brewing my own sodas. The idea hit a wall once i realized i cant naturally carbonate the soda without some alcohol getting into the drink.

I love my root beer and ginger ale tho
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 03:37:04 pm »
I'm partial to Fat Tire myself.  I enjoy some of the really strong ginger ales that are out there, too.   Russell, you can get do-it-yourself rootbeer kits that use compressed CO2 to carbonate (google it).  I bet if you got a kit and figured out the process, you could pretty easily figure out how to make your own alcohol-free concoctions.  Then you could send some samples to me as thanks for the idea.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 03:45:22 pm »
I'll take an ice, cold Yengling, please. :OK
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 05:07:50 pm »
i once looked into brewing my own sodas. The idea hit a wall once i realized i cant naturally carbonate the soda without some alcohol getting into the drink.

Look up the "Swiss Family Robinson" novel and the part about the non alcoholic carbonated fruit drinks they made using sourdough bread dough to generate CO2.
It was apparently a not uncommon procedure in the 18th and 19th centuries.
IIRC they called it Hydromol or something like that.

I love old style Sassafras tea, never tried natural root beer though. The oil in the Sassafras root that gives it its punch is now a controlled substance, its the precursor to MDMA the drug known as Ecstasy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 06:17:05 pm »

Look up the "Swiss Family Robinson" novel and the part about the non alcoholic carbonated fruit drinks they made using sourdough bread dough to generate CO2.

I love old style Sassafras tea, never tried natural root beer though. The oil in the Sassafras root that gives it its punch is now a controlled substance, its the precursor to MDMA the drug known as Ecstasy.

The two major byproducts of yeast consuming fermentable sugars is CO2 and alcohol.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 06:23:31 pm »
Yeah, what JW said. To get rid of the alcohol I would need to boil or evaporate it off… by the time both those happen, all the carbonation is gone as well….

Ive looked into it before WB, it was always a backup plan, but I thought the idea of soda from yeast would be more, now I think I’ll just go with your option. I’ll definitely share my drinks with y’all, but home made soda is special, and best shared around a campfire with new friends. Here’s to hoping the marshalls rendezvous is happening next year!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 06:34:17 pm »
From what I've read, fermented drinks get fizzy before they develop problematic amounts of alcohol.  In pioneer days the root beer was fermented just enough to be fizzy, but not enough to get anyone buzzed.  That's when they gave it to the kids.

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 06:36:31 pm »

The two major byproducts of yeast consuming fermentable sugars is CO2 and alcohol.

While many more modern formulas for sourdough have yeast added the original method using naturally occurring Lacto-Bacillus without added yeast can be monitored according to temperature to produce acetic acid rather than ethanol.
In other words lots of CO2 and little or no alcohol if done properly.

IIRC the Robinsons merely poured the fruit juices over the working sourdough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough#Type_I_sourdough

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 01:33:05 am »
It is easy to catch natural yeast, just mix up a cup of water and a cup of flour and let it sit n the counter until it bubbles, stir occasionally.  I put a splatter screen over to keep out bugs, I think I will go to a finer mesh, though.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 01:46:00 am »
WB,
Try 90 Shilling from O'Dells and Saddle Bronc from Blacktooth (Sheridan?). Also need to try my Irish Red sometime!
Hawkdancer
Jerry