Author Topic: Been quite a challenge  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Been quite a challenge
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:55:52 pm »
Had a cornea transplant last November and it was doing pretty good. then woke up one morning with a bloody eye. turned out that my CPAP mask had somehow pressed against my eye and compromised the cornea. I had made it to the 8th month of a 12 month healing time. so, an emergency operation to try to repair it. all I heard was potentially the loss of the eye. The repair lasted one week but ended up with a super thin spot that was leaking. So another operation, this time to replace the cornea with another one. A week later, this one is leaking slightly as well so another operation. This time with  temporary stitches to the corner of my eye lids to keep the corner shut. A week later, they are happy with the eye but decide to "shave the inside corners of the eyelid to make it a permanent thing. While I am not happy with my eyelids being permanently closed at the corner as it affects my peripheral vision, it is still better than being blind in that eye. These operations mean a 10 pound lifting restriction and no bending over for a month or longer. So I will just make the bow season here in Ark but it will have to be a light bow. The eyesight in the eye right now is about like a very foggy lens and makes depth perception a major challenge as well as my balance. So no hunts from any heights and at this point, it will be a very close shot like 12 yards or less. I do have my osage bow that is 41lbs that I mean to carry. But on the bright side, I still have my eye, just have another 10-11 months to heal. anyways, it was 4 operations in about a month's time with lots of out of town stays in motels for up to a week at a time. And yes, I wear an eye shield every night with a different mask. so be thankful for your eyesight as well as being able to walk without falling. Jerry   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Been quite a challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:08:40 am »
Glad to hear it is going better for you, life is full of challenges it seem but you seem to be holding up to it very well to this one. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:16:03 am »
Great perserverance on your part,but to keep seeing from that eye is a great motivator.
I sure hope things  come out ok for you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:18:12 pm »
Best wishes for the healing process!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 06:25:49 pm »
Wow.  That's tough.  Hang in there.  Hope things keep on a good trajectory for you.

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 01:25:05 am »
Hang in and follow the doctor's orders!  Good luck with the healing process!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 06:20:48 pm »
I have to say your attitude is commendable. Sometimes a positive attitude helps us through the trials and tribulations of life. Best of luck in the coming months. I hope everything works out for you. Keep the faith.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges