Author Topic: S.O.B.  (Read 6430 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: S.O.B.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 03:39:26 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of "craft" or "microbrew" beers tend to be really, really hoppy.  They all kind of start to taste the same after a while.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 07:11:38 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of "craft" or "microbrew" beers tend to be really, really hoppy.  They all kind of start to taste the same after a while.

When you have poor sanitation, lacking in skills in mashing/lautering, do not understand water chemistry, or have other glaring weaknesses as a brewer, you can always add more hops to cover the crappy taste of your product with more hops.

Kinda like how people with no knowledge of basic tillering skills are fascinated with making a Turkish composite bow or a 190 lb draw weight longbow. Gotta learn your basics first.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 12:21:01 pm »
I have been holding off posting my 190 pound Turkish composite, hops-backed bow, but now I guess I need to get on it.  I can't draw it, but it does have an aggressive flavor profile with faint chocolate and citrus undertones.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2021, 11:03:35 am »
I have been holding off posting my 190 pound Turkish composite, hops-backed bow, but now I guess I need to get on it.  I can't draw it, but it does have an aggressive flavor profile with faint chocolate and citrus undertones.

Bonus points if you make the bow itself out of bundled barley straw, like the cane bows in one of the TBB volumes (I forget which one).  Back it with hops fibers.  And serve it with a squeeze of orange...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Strelets

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2021, 03:55:29 pm »
i once looked into brewing my own sodas. The idea hit a wall once i realized i cant naturally carbonate the soda without some alcohol getting into the drink.
Yes, but that "some" can be very low. Traditional English  fermented ginger beer can be well-carbonated but less than 1% alcohol. In England "ginger beer" is very different from "ginger ale", which is stronger both in ginger taste and alcohol.  Similarly, traditional Russian kvass is a fermented drink, which at less than 0.9% alcohol can be sold with no restriction, It is very refreshing , and I have drunk many pints of it on hot summer days in Russia without feeling any effects from alcohol. If you are worried about any amount of alcohol, don't eat yeast-leavened bread, because that contains some as well.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2021, 12:38:05 am »
i once looked into brewing my own sodas. The idea hit a wall once i realized i cant naturally carbonate the soda without some alcohol getting into the drink.
Yes, but that "some" can be very low. Traditional English  fermented ginger beer can be well-carbonated but less than 1% alcohol. In England "ginger beer" is very different from "ginger ale", which is stronger both in ginger taste and alcohol.  Similarly, traditional Russian kvass is a fermented drink, which at less than 0.9% alcohol can be sold with no restriction, It is very refreshing , and I have drunk many pints of it on hot summer days in Russia without feeling any effects from alcohol. If you are worried about any amount of alcohol, don't eat yeast-leavened bread, because that contains some as well.

well honestly, it does come down to a religious thing... (which we dont want to get into on this site) and personal challenge. and in bread, all the alcohol has been cooked off.

Ive actually looked into kvass. it looks really interesting honestly. dont know if it would be my favorite though because Rootbeer trumps all!!!  ;) ;)   ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Strelets

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 10:19:15 am »
and in bread, all the alcohol has been cooked off.

So you might have thought, but analysis has shown that it can be as high as 1.9% in bread. The link is to results reported in 1926, but more recent analysis of yeast-leavened bread has come up with similar figures.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1709087/?page=1

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 12:21:18 pm »
An old friend now long deceased had a severe drinking problem, in large part because of constant pain from a genetic brittle bone disease.
He was treated with a chemical aversion therapy that resulted in him becoming violently ill if he attempted to drink any alcoholic beverage or even use a shaving lotion that had the slightest alcohol content.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2021, 03:32:37 pm »

So you might have thought, but analysis has shown that it can be as high as 1.9% in bread. The link is to results reported in 1926, but more recent analysis of yeast-leavened bread has come up with similar figures.

"Honest, ocifer...I've just been eating a bunch of *hic* bread!"
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Strelets

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2021, 03:41:37 pm »
My drinking problem is to find enough time to brew it. I first brewed beer more than 50 years ago and by now I have worked out how to make it how I like, and no commercial bottled or canned beer will do for me. Although I am retired from work I am busier than ever, what with archery, fishing and maintaining a 400 year old house.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2021, 05:28:09 pm »
Guess I am just odd man out here, I am more of a Miller Lite kind of guy . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2021, 09:37:40 pm »

"Honest, ocifer...I've just been eating a bunch of *hic* bread!"

Officer: I smell beer.

Me: No sir!  We were just eating deep fried frog legs. What you are smelling is the hops!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2021, 12:32:59 am »
Maybe that is why my wild yeast sourdough bread proofs so well! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2021, 12:32:28 pm »
Straub beer made at St. Marys Pa. No sugar for beer drinkers with diabetes.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2021, 01:50:29 pm »

Officer: I smell beer.

Me: No sir!  We were just eating deep fried frog legs. What you are smelling is the hops!

;D ;D ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour