Author Topic: please help me  (Read 1628 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
please help me
« on: August 22, 2021, 06:48:08 pm »
OK, please I need help, I need to make 14  or 15 inch long target arrows for a 30lb bow.  I need to use 2-fletch.  I had thought to use bamboo shafts, there is no spine to worry about - yes, this is for a crossbow.  I have absolutely no idea whether bamboo is a good choice for shaft material or how to determine what a good diameter for the shaft would be.  Is there any way to work out the optimum total weight - this is for target work, broadheads are strictly forbidden over here.  Also, I need to have some form of two-fletch but I haven't mastered a conventional three-fletch yet, any pointers on a nice simple 2-fletch method?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: please help me
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 08:03:31 pm »
How long do the arrows need to be? Generally, crossbow bolts are relatively short. Spine shouldn't matter because the bolt doesn't have to go around the bow and is pushed straight forward. I'd think the stiffer the better but I've never made and rarely have shot a crossbow.
A 2 fletch can be as simple as 2 feathers attached, one of either side of the shaft. Do you have precut fletching or are you starting off with full feathers? Just leave a tag of the quill, fore and aft on the fletching and wrap them to the shaft over the tabs with thread or sinew. That would be the simplest way to do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 08:52:23 am »
The bolts will be 14" long, goose feather or pheasant tail feather fletches. I'd like to get the bolt spinning so some kind of offset with a thread binding as I don't have a fletching jig

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:50:48 am »
I usually add up to 90 degrees of twist for 2 fletched arrows. The feathers, because of their make up will cause some spin even if the feather is not offset.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 03:20:44 pm »
Thanks Pat.  As far as weight goes, I guess its trial and error til I find one I like?