Author Topic: Hafted hybrid  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Hafted hybrid
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:27:10 pm »
I half expect to get banished for this one, so is it ok if I say this was for educational purposes only? :-[

Sorry for the gargantuan pic.

I can't make wood or bamboo last in my climate, too dry and any sort of miss or deflection shatteres them.  So I got to thinking how one could still haft broadheads using primitive techniques and a bit more modern shaft material...pretending if you will...that it's processed cane or bamboo.

I took a quarter inch hickory dowel and glued it in to a piece of white oak, then reduced the diameter of the dowel slightly with sandpaper so it would fit inside a Goldtip shaft (.246 ID).

Glued this in to the main shaft by roughing up the inside of the main shaft and put in a few sizing coats of hide glue, followed by the foreshaft.

Hafted in a 225 grain single bevel made from 1084 steel. 

I roughed up the last quarter to half inch of the mainshaft and wrapped sinew with hide glue around  both fore shaft and mainshaft.

Eventually I'll repeat a similar process for the nock end.

The first prototype used a poplar dowel and the foreshaft snapped when shot at a 2x4.  With a hickory core, this one is taking quite a bit of abuse.  Even shot it in to a piece of pressure treated 2x6, went in a little over an inch and a half with no damage and took me a half hour to dig it out.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Hafted hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:36:52 pm »
Aaron looks like it should draw some blood.