Author Topic: What are you hunting this year?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: What are you hunting this year?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 01:32:01 pm »
Oooooh, that wifely anxiety can be hard to overcome.  Right there with you on that, brother.

I got out for the first time after the Badgerling's cross country meet last night.  Got an area where the public land sagebrush desert meets some irrigated hay fields.  The deer bed in the sage and more into the fields in the evening.  I know the area very well, but it's been ten years or so since I've hunted there and the bedding cover is in different spots.  Got there way too late last night and the deer were already in the fields.  Saw one decent buck, then spotted another herd right at dark that I suspect was a bachelor herd but I'm not sure.  Going to bey to get there earlier tonight and figure out where they're bedding, then ambush one Saturday or Sunday morning.

Good luck, all!

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: What are you hunting this year?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 02:22:59 pm »
Got out on the first real bow hunt of the season out in desert Saturday. Saw one nice buck and snuck up, oh, 60-70 yards away before one of his girlfriends winded me. It's kind of unfair--mature bucks really aren't supposed to be hanging with does this time of year. Ignorant deer must not have read the book on mule deer behavior. 

I came through a big draw, sort of an oasis with no surface water but lots of riparian vegetation, with some of the biggest and best-tasting chokecherries I've ever seen.  Also, some enormous piles of bear scat, which is very unusual in the desert.  I'm not the only one who likes chokecherries!

Walking back to the truck, I spotted two little bucks bedded under a lone juniper. One of them was just barely legal (3 points/side) so I pulled a sneak on them and got 30 yards away--just a little too far for my  bow; needed about another five-ten yards. Had to cross an open space and one of them saw me. It would have been nice filling my tag, but I'm OK letting them live to bust me another day. :)

I was hunting one of my old favorite areas that I haven't been to for several years. It was like the Serengeti up there--deer everywhere! It was fun to see so many and to get a couple good stalking opportunities in one morning. Good day!

Went back out Sunday night to the same area.  A big, long slope about a mile long and a mile high, with private irrigated hayfield and water at the bottom.  Sunday evening found me down near the fields, waiting in ambush.  Didn't see any legal bucks, but I got in front of a herd of does, hunkered down behind a juniper, and waited.  They almost stepped on me!  Pretty fun.

I've never killed a deer during one of these desert bow hunts--it is HARD hunting--but there's nothing more fun.  I think the thing I love the most is just watching the deer, unspooked, seeing their natural behavior.  They are such interesting animals.  I love 'em.  Watching them, hunting them, eating them.  All good.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour