Author Topic: Damn varmint  (Read 1900 times)

Offline sleek

Damn varmint
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:43:59 pm »
Been killing my chickens and eating my eggs. I think it's a coon but leaves no sign of entry. Never felt with this before, but it's got 6 in the last week, in the coop. Any ideas?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Damn varmint
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 01:49:51 pm »
Owl statue??? Might deter them
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 02:15:58 pm »
Been killing my chickens and eating my eggs. I think it's a coon but leaves no sign of entry. Never felt with this before, but it's got 6 in the last week, in the coop. Any ideas?

My first thought is a bit of night hunting with a .22, but that may not be acceptable in your area. I'd go over the coop carefully looking for ways in. A raccoon is not particularly small and should need a fair hole to get through. Is it possible it's a weasel? They fit through extremely small openings and supposedly will kill chickens but not eat them (I have not dealt with weasels firsthand).

Mark

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 02:18:01 pm »
My guess would be mink around here. They can get in the tiniest hole. They kill a bunch but usually only have a little hole in carcass. They won’t quit coming back till either chickens are gone or you catch them.

Could be lots of things though. Everybody loves chicken. Are they eating them? Are they killing only one? Or just killing and leaving them lay?

When I suspect mink I set a cubby with fresh bait and a 110 coni bear in the outside the chicken coup and try to get them before they get to chickens.

Bjrogg

PS what Mark said. Wessel is same as a mink.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 02:27:16 pm »
Electric fencing a few inches above the ground.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 02:57:57 pm »
It's mostly eating them, a few die from attacks but aren't eaten. Lost all my roosters, and I'm really upset about one rooster in particular. He was a pet darn near. Let you hold him and loved being hand fed. Beautiful colors too. 3 weeks ago I had 28, now I have only 9. Been a coyote loose lately, killed one of my neighbors 20 cats. Can't say I'm upset about that. But like I said, wasn't him, no signs of entry, not that my son says he sees and I been gone the last month. I'm headed home tonight though. Thinking about buying some eggs, injecting them with poison, and leaving them out in the coop.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 03:03:43 pm »
I'll look into buying an electric wire around the base, I like that idea. But for now, I need what's after them dead. Maybe some traps too, baited with chicken carcass.

On another note, anyone got some chicks they would part with? I need about 20. And I'd like 3 good roosters. I'm after Leghorns, Some Reds, and Americaunas for hens, and I'd prefer Americauna roosters, but a leg horn would be good too.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 04:14:00 pm »
If it's a coon a few dp traps are probably your best bet. Check with your local regs though (don't want you getting in trouble).
Trevor

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:45 pm »
If it's a coon a few dp traps are probably your best bet. Check with your local regs though (don't want you getting in trouble).

Good advice for coon. Very selective trap.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 07:12:08 pm »
Could it be a feral cat, or something on wings?

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 07:18:34 pm »

Can cats kill chickens? The coop is sealed on the roof, I doubt an owl, but maybe?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »

Can cats kill chickens? The coop is sealed on the roof, I doubt an owl, but maybe?

Skunks will also kill Chickens
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 09:47:40 pm »
Check for loose boards that the varmint might be sliding apart to get in the closing when they leave. Had a civit cat,a type of skunk out west, doing that at a place I worked.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 11:49:41 pm »
OK I'll bite here.I live in the sticks with an over amount of varmints around me.Coyotes,coon,skunks,opposum,mink,otter,owls,hawks,& eagles.Plus Robins' little dog is a chicken killer to boot.My coop here has a wooden 3/4" thick wooden floor along with everything else sealed.1 lockable walk in door and 1 small hole closeable over night for them to go in and out of to free range in a 50'by 8' wide run connected to the coop fenced in tight.Occasionally Robin lets them free range in the 1/2 acre horse pasture that's fenced in with 4" woven wire.She makes sure they are all in overnight.We've got and still have around 16 chickens for the past 7 or 8 years.
First things first.Are they being killed in the day time or at night?Are you letting them free range?If so do you lock them in at night.Secure the coop like fort knox.Make sure they are in shed over night.
When I see a varmint skirting the yard in the daytime I take that as a warning and in time he will try to kill chickens.I take care of it immediately.I don't give them the chance to try.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed