Author Topic: How to squirrel hunt  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
How to squirrel hunt
« on: August 27, 2021, 12:33:59 pm »
Ive probably asked this before.... but i wanna go squirrel hunting tomorrow or after school monday. Im gonna bring my bow and my .22. Any tips? I want to go squirrel hunting because i dont think i could take a more serious hunt atm like coyote or something. Schools stressing me out too much for me to want to do deep and thorough scouting, or planning. I just wanna go out in nature, de-stress, and hunt.

so... how do you tackle squirrel hunting, rifle or bow?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: How to squirrel hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:54:52 pm »
Ive probably asked this before.... but i wanna go squirrel hunting tomorrow or after school monday. Im gonna bring my bow and my .22. Any tips? I want to go squirrel hunting because i dont think i could take a more serious hunt atm like coyote or something. Schools stressing me out too much for me to want to do deep and thorough scouting, or planning. I just wanna go out in nature, de-stress, and hunt.

so... how do you tackle squirrel hunting, rifle or bow?
1.  Find a squirrel.
2.  If it's a tree squirrel, use extremely bright flu-flu arrows so you'll be able to find them.
3.  If it's a rock squirrel, use arrows you don't really care about all that much.
4.  Make sure you won't hit anything important if you miss.
5.  Let 'er rip!

I guess that isn't too helpful, but it's all I've got.   ;D  I can say these are all from personal experience.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 04:14:00 pm »
Move quietly, a dog will help,  find a nut tree, or oak.  Shoot straight, if you use the rifle, make sure it is a safe shot! Listen to their chittering, and imitate (it also helps to be able to make noises like a nut, or acorn >:D (lol)!) (lol) (lol)  They also like apples and other fruits.  Post pic!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 10:33:13 pm »
Here's one way for you Deerhunter with bow and arrow.Squirrels are territorial.Find where you know squirrels are.Set up a make shift ground blind.Take a small teddy bear with you when you want to hunt.
Set teddy bear on ground or a stump out there within range of your capability and wait.Be patient.Squirrels will come out to investigate what that teddy bear is doing in their territory.It works.
I've shot em off my bird feeder and using the teddy bear method using rubber blunts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:24:59 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 10:27:20 am »
Here's one way for you Deerhunter.Squirrels are territorial.Find where you know squirrels are.Set up a make shift ground blind.Take a small teddy bear with you when you want to hunt.
Set teddy bear on ground or a stump out there within range of your capability and wait.Be patient.Squirrels will come out to investigate what that teddy bear is doing in their territory.It works.
I've shot em off my bird feeder and using the teddy bear method using rubber blunts.

No kidding!? Never heard that before! Is it just the males that are territorial like that?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 11:27:54 am »
To their own species yes.We have red and fox squirrels here.There are colorations from them too like black.I hav'nt used this mounted one yet but I'm sure it would work too.

It works best during mating season and that's late winter early spring,but they are hoarders too in the fall for nuts.You just have to notice them chasing each other.I have a lot of walnut,hickory and oak around me,but to make the hunt more successful you have to know the habits and nature of things you want to hunt.
PS....Many ways to squirrel hunt.I used to use a jack russel and a .22.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:32:46 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 11:45:30 pm »
That is a really neat trick Ed!! i gotta try it! just... not on public property LOL! dont want my stuffed squirrel to get shot!!!

It seems that for now my parents only want me to hunt alone with my bow. no rifle yet.... it seems like im going to need to get my bowhunters ed for deer season. I can hunt rabbits and squirrel and rabbit without a bowhunters ed tho.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 11:48:20 pm »
I have to ask... just in case. but lets say i make a bad shot with my blunt arrow. i hit it out of the tree but its not fatal. what would the best way for me to dispatch the rabbit or squirrel without it biting me? I know this is worst case scenario but there is always the chance that i hit it in the leg instead of the body or head.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:52:53 am »
#1.  Get your bowhunter ed card!  #2.  RE Le coup de grace - carefully grab the critter by a hind leg and bash it very ungently against a tree or rock! #3. clean, skin, salt hide, cook, enjoy!  Make rawhide from skin. 
Hawkdancer

Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 07:51:00 am »
That is a really neat trick Ed!! i gotta try it! just... not on public property LOL! dont want my stuffed squirrel to get shot!!!

It seems that for now my parents only want me to hunt alone with my bow. no rifle yet.... it seems like im going to need to get my bowhunters ed for deer season. I can hunt rabbits and squirrel and rabbit without a bowhunters ed tho.
No trick just what works.You will get what you put into it.Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:37:21 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 02:05:53 pm »
Russell, post pics and have good hunts!  Make meat!

Ed, never heard of the teddy bear trick!  Sounds like a good idea in big enough woods.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Piddler

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 07:34:33 pm »
Deerhunter 21,
Just remember even if you aren't seeing any doesn't mean they aren't there. If you sit or hide and quit moving for 15 min they will appear. You can almost set your watch by them where I hunt. After a bit they get comfortable with the situation and won't pay attention to where you are. On a side note as a kid I had a little feist dog with two different color eyes. Best squirrel dog a kid could have had and way better hunter than myself. Almost seemed to know which ones I could get and which ones to leave alone. Have fun and enjoy mother nature. And yes they are tasty.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 12:37:19 am »
Many times a squirrel will circle to the back side of the tree to hide. Stay still for a few minutes, then throw a rock or stick behind the tree and the squirrel will circle around to your side of the tree away from the noise and hopefully offer you a shot.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 02:21:25 pm »
Huh. That’s a good idea bentstick!!! Tomorrow is the big day. First hunt alone! I’m gonna be out most of tomorrow. Hopefully I make some meat!!!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 03:07:02 pm »
Russell,
Have a good hunt and make meat. Post pics, if possible!
Hawkdancer
Jerry