Author Topic: Oh NO!!!!  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Oh NO!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 06:50:10 pm »
I just went till the back of the bow was too hot to touch. I’ll re heat it soon.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 08:09:40 pm »
You don't want the back to get scorched. That could lead to trouble.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 12:15:52 pm »
My way…I do one limb at a time. I run the gun along the limb sweeping a section about 12 inches long just getting it hot. Once it is hot, too hot to touch for long, I slow way down. Put the nozzle close to the limb with it angled forward. As it turns brown, I slowly move forward. Then I do the same on the next 12 inch section. Then I do the same on the other limb. I want it good and dark. Not black, but good and brown. I believe that heating the limb first, gets a deeper treatment than just turning the surface brown.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 12:34:25 pm »
I do the same as SlimBob but I go every 6" instead of 12".
As I move along the limb, clamping as I go I keep going back over the areas already done and at the end, after the whole bow is done, I go over the whole belly one more time then let it rest for a few days on the form to rehydrate.
 Also, be sure to pad your clamps so you don't dent the hot belly wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 12:36:57 pm »
One more thing...because of the different sugar content of different woods some woods don't darken as much as others so you have to know your wood to know how far to go.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 04:09:56 pm »
Agree with all of that Pat. I don’t seem to get the same color on say Elm. It finishes lighter in color. Hackberry gets really dark. Bodark and Mulberry get pretty dark as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.