Author Topic: What would yew do? Tiller advice needed  (Read 2575 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
What would yew do? Tiller advice needed
« on: September 01, 2021, 04:00:18 pm »
OK, so this stick is exactly double intended draw length, it was c-shaped in profile, string outside the handle, 4" deflexed with 100° twist.  After multiple heat treatments it looks like this. 2" deflex from back of handle to belly tips, string slightly off handle centre. Another heat correction will finish straightening out the sideways bend and the twist but I'm not sure what to do about the deflex.  The idea is flat bow, bend through handle (which will be built up with cork) but as length is marginal, should I reflex anything, straighten everything, or leave a bit of deflex to help with draw length?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:27:31 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: What would yew do?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:13:25 am »
What is your draw length, stick in the mud, and how long and wide is the stave? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 01:36:15 pm »
Done with the side to side straightening for the time being, will tweak once its on the short string but string is through handle centre now, the deflex is distorting the picture a little.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:06:41 pm »
Tell me what you see.

Low brace

Unstrung

There is no set, this is all deflex that sprang in when the stave was split.  I'm thinking of reflexing the outer thirds

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:31:22 am »
If you heat it again make sure its held in its new straight shape or else when you heat the belly the side to side corrections will come out.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 02:31:54 pm »
Well, so I've done a bit of fettling, taken most of the twist out and tried to match the kink in the one tip by flipping both tips. Didn't get an exact match as each tip has a knot in it that stopped me getting a nice long curve. They're a bit more lever-like but I am expecting some of the bend to pull out as I tiller.  Bow is shown drawing to 14".  I would like the tips to unwind at the end of the draw to maximise draw length. Please can you give some advice as tillering a bow like this is at the limits of my experience. Draw weight is slightly above target weight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 03:07:51 pm »
Looking good, oddly, I've been working on one that is similarly asymmetric, but it's on hold while i re-roof the porch/loby.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 02:40:14 am »
Its bending too much in the inner limbs/middle. You need to not touch this area and work midlimb to the tips.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 04:36:40 pm »
I haven't touched the inner thirds/centre. Agree they are moving too much. This is at full brace, I think the tips are maybe moving enough but the outer thirds are still a bit stiff? Let me know what you think please

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: What would yew do? Tiller advice needed
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 12:30:03 pm »
Been fiddling, reduced the tips and outers some, now bending to 16 inches, tiny amount of set, but can't tell where it is. Wish I'd traced its profile. Think I'll do that before I go any further.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:33:07 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 05:12:50 am »
Cleaned the back, drawing out to 18 inches. Any thoughts?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 05:50:40 am »
24" draw. Left hand limb is the lower limb.  Need another 2 inches, figure the outers need to soften just a tiny bit. No set at the moment, probably being helped by the inch of deflex

Offline lonbow

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 06:36:04 am »
Is think that the outer limbs still are quite stiff. More bend in the outer limbs helps reducing handshock by minimizing the accelerated mass.

lonbow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 10:37:32 am »
The outer limbs look too stiff to me also. Getting them to bend more will allow the center to bend a little less.  You are coming along pretty well though.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 02:32:32 pm »
I think your stick is a lil crooked.. nothing wrong with leaving tips stiff IMO ... straighten the stick and I bet it looks ok.. gut