Author Topic: Anyone got any squirrel or rabbit recipes???  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Anyone got any squirrel or rabbit recipes???
« on: September 05, 2021, 02:05:34 pm »
Any good squirrel or rabbit recipes???
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Anyone got any squirrel or rabbit recipes???
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 03:17:58 pm »
Both make excellent stew, or can be grilled or pan fried like chicken with salt, thyme, and a sprinkle of garlic powder.  throw whatever you want  in the stew!  However, it is best to take the hide and innards off before cooking!
Hawkdaner
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 11:54:27 pm »
My favorite is fried like chicken on both. The big tough boat squirrels can be fried up and pressure cooked and will be as tender as a year old grey squirrel. I don’t know the particulars of doing that, my mother in law could get it done though. Delicious.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 04:57:41 am »
I like to Par-Boil the Squirrel in Beer and lots of Onions a half Hour or so. Then dip the pieces in Your favorite Flour mixture. Fry them till almost done, remove and make Milk Gravy in the drippings. When the Gravy has thickened, add the Squirrel back to the Pan, cover and simmer till done. I'm Salivating as I type this - love it ! Enjoy -  -C- Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 11:36:26 am »
My fav squirrel recipe is caveman style, salt and pepper and slow roast over hot coals on a spit.... love huntin and wating squirrel and have prepared them in different ways but just something about the slow roast and smoke flavor is amazing
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 04:32:54 pm »
There were a couple of winters when the cottontails were thick on some public land north of the Black Hills. It was not unusual to come home with a limit of bunnies (15 at the time). I quickly ran out of freezer space, leading me to research canning rabbit.

I would start by skinning and washing the rabbits, throwing the front legs and ribs into a kettle of water with celery, carrots, and onion along with a gallon or so of water, salt and pepper to taste. I would stew those down, pick off the meat and freeze for making wingless-chicken salad sandwiches. Broth was reserved for canning.

The back ends were separated into the two legs and the "backstraps". They went into a bucket with a quarter cup of salt per gallon of water to brine overnight. Two legs and the and the backstraps (bone in) went into a quart jar, then the jar was filled filled with the reserved broth made from cooking up the front ends. A quarter teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder plus a little Italian herb blend and a half teaspoon of salt before putting the lids on and the band barely screwed on.

This went into a water bath pressure cooker for 75 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure, but you will want to confer with your County Extension office for times and pressure requirements for your particular altitude. It doesn't sound like much, but it is the difference between food safety and botulism.

A jar of pressure canned chicken makes a pot of soup in less time than it takes to describe. Pour off the broth in a pot, dice in one large red potato and bring to a boil. Meanwhile dice half an onion, and toss that in the pot while the potatoes simmer. Open a 12 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables and add those when the potatoes are tender. Pick the meat off the tender bones and add to the pot.* Bring to a boil once again and it is ready to serve. If you need more broth, add commercially available chicken broth.

Nice additions are home made noodles or spoon dumplings.

*As you pick the meat off the bones, you'll get that little bit of gristle/cartilage that you will pick out. If you are older and your knees ache, eat it! It is a natural glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. Otherwise, toss it to the dog who will perpetually love you for the yummy treat!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 01:16:34 pm »
All of the above recipes do require a rabbit or squirrel >:D (lol) :fp
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:30:42 pm »
I just came over to ask the exact same question russel :).   Frying like chicken sounds good, so does stew though…
Why must we make simple things so complicated?