Author Topic: Hunting bows  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Hunting bows
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 09:24:39 am »
I adhere to the old saying "beware the guy who only shoots one gun, (or bow)", meaning he is probably pretty good with it.

I shoot one bow.

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 09:23:23 pm »
I hunt mostly with selfbows of different species, but hunyin with osage this year. Same bow as last year, its still holdin up just fine.... I'm in Michigan as well.

Glad to hear from another Michigander! Where did you get the osage from so far north?

I'm finally taking the plunge and hunting with a home-made bow this year!  Now if I could just find a critter that was just a *little* more cooperative.  65" rawhide-backed hickory sudbury.  45# @ 27".

Badger, I wish I could have done the same this year, looking forward to next year. Best of luck in the coming months!

I've got a pyramid roughed out that I plan to get back to work on once I'm done hunting.  I know pyramids are more efficient shooters, but dang these sudburry/meare heath types are easy on the eyes.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 01:42:32 pm »
There are deer all over my property here in Northwest Lower Michigan. If any of you Michigan guys are looking for a place to hunt, there's enough room for two of us. I'm going out with all home made tackle this year. I'm very excited about it. I have a burlap backed elm bow that shoots #47 @ 26"

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70280.msg986733.html#msg986733

Not exactly "camouflage." I've been wanting to build a new bow for hunting season, but I had a few blow up in the tillering tree and a few others were roughed out and never finished. This one shoots so sweet and fits so nice in my hand though, I can't imagine going out there with any other bow. 
Bellaire, MI

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 01:52:10 pm »
There are deer all over my property here in Northwest Lower Michigan. If any of you Michigan guys are looking for a place to hunt, there's enough room for two of us. I'm going out with all home made tackle this year. I'm very excited about it. I have a burlap backed elm bow that shoots #47 @ 26"

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70280.msg986733.html#msg986733

Not exactly "camouflage." I've been wanting to build a new bow for hunting season, but I had a few blow up in the tillering tree and a few others were roughed out and never finished. This one shoots so sweet and fits so nice in my hand though, I can't imagine going out there with any other bow.

Taking out Old Sivertip, huh?  Gutsy choice.   ;D  If you make a kill while wearing the hat, vest, shorts, and boots, I will cast my vote to elect you king of all bowhunters.  I've read that deer can't see shades of pink, red, and orange (though I've asked them and they aren't tellin'), so your bow's camo is probably about as good as anything.  Just don't paint your bow blue or purple.  They can see those like a beacon.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 03:20:40 pm »
I just finished up making these arrows today, naturally dyed with pokeberry. Hopefully the deer can't see that too well either! :-D
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2021, 03:23:44 pm »
I'm very excited about it. I have a burlap backed elm bow that shoots #47 @ 26"

Boom, looks like a fun setup, I agree with badger, the outfit would put you at the top of all bowhunters!

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 09:00:10 am »
Welp, looks like I know what I'm wearing on opening day. I love a good dare. Hopefully it'll be unseasonably warm :)
Bellaire, MI

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 11:05:29 am »
Jon, in southern up to almost mid Michigan there is still an abundance of osage, but I'm lucky enough to have a resourse in Indiana
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Fox

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2021, 01:39:47 pm »
Welp, looks like I know what I'm wearing on opening day. I love a good dare. Hopefully it'll be unseasonably warm :)

Yup If you take a deer with that bow and the outfit you’ll be king :D (lol) (lol)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?