Author Topic: Hickory Stave Care  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Piddler

Hickory Stave Care
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:02:09 pm »
Cut a hickory tree two days ago. I would like to de bark it just to help alleviate the bug problem. Sampled one this morning and it seems that this late in the year the bark doesn't want to slip off so easily. It has been dry here and the tree's are getting ready for winter I guess. Anyway, If I debark how much sapwood can I leave on and not have to worry about it trying to check. I want to get pretty close but that can be awfully slow getting that close to the back. I will be sealing the stave back with two coats of Elmers glue.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Woody roberts

Re: Hickory Stave Care
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:39:34 pm »
I debarked one today that I cut in November. Been in the barn with the bark on. Wow! That stuff is tuff!
My best tool for the job is a wood carving disc on my grinder. I only take the bark and leave most of the cambium. I then take it off carefully with a drawknife. I don’t want to violate any wood on the back.
I had some bug damage but think I can work around it. I ain’t cutting anymore Hickory until spring

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 08:46:04 pm »
you can do the work now or do the work later, but it's probably still easier now. But it's hickory, so are you thinking of leaving the cambium, (which I have done at times). There is typically not a reason to remove the sapwood on hickory. I've never tried that.
Don

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:55 pm »
Woody Roberts: Yes it is tough stuff. The longer it dries the tougher it gets I've worked an old stave before. Between it being tough when dried and the bugs I will probably go ahead and work them down at least really close to the white. I said Sapwood earlier but meant to say Cambium. Since they are not very old it will be drawknife work. I done a sample earlier today. I'll probably get really close to the white. Just curious HOW CLOSE would be sufficient to stop it from checking. I agree on waiting till spring but didn't have a choice. It was either I take it down or the bulldozer will.
Don W: I agree its easier now than when dried. I'm afraid of bugs t think more than anything. Went to my wood pile and found bunch of dust one time. Made lots of firewood of some good staves. Like I mentioned I had meant to say Cambium and not sapwood so you guys don't think I've lost my mind. Had some Osage in the dozer path as well so sapwood is on my mind.
Told myself I would never work any of that In the Heat either. Sometimes we take what we can get when we get it.
Thanks fellas
Piddler

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:59:28 am »
I've heard the cambium will come off later with steam or hot water (like sticking it in a hot shower) but I haven't tried it. I usually leave a little on. It gives a camo effect. It will come off shooting once in a while. The thinner it is the less chance it'll come off.
Don

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:32:04 am »
Hickory isn't one to check on the back as it dries, I do put a few coats of shellac on the back just to be on the safe side after I strip off the bark. I have never seen hickory check if it had some cambium left on.

I made the mistake of cutting hickory late one year, never again, it took me two weeks of heavy drawknifing to get the bark off 17 staves.

A while back someone said they had used a pressure washer to strip the bark and cambium off late cut hickory and that it worked great. Perhaps they might chime in.

17 staves debarked and shellacked;

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 03:27:10 pm »
I would recommend carefully taking all the bark off and some of the cambium with a draw knife prior to sealing the back with your wood glue. I’ve never had hickory check doing this. However, I cut one a month ago and the bark slipped off with just light pressure. The back of each stave was sopping wet. I sealed with two coats of shellac. I stored them in the rafters of my shed and checked on them a couple weeks later. The shellac must not of adhered to the cambium layer and I had a few checks from drying. Nothing I can’t work around but it surprised me with hickory. One possible reason for this was I left a couple staves a little wide and these were the ones that checked. As dry as yours are you should have no problems. Good luck!

Offline Piddler

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 07:07:04 pm »
Eric, Debarked one today and took it very close to the sapwood, actually got a couple white streaks so close enough. The bark was hard as all getout so between getting a start with the drawknife and then the hatchet worked out ok. The cambium layer was very soft. It still wouldn't just peel off without wanting to bring sapwood with it so just got it close and called it good. Put two coats of elmers on it and called it good. Good to hear it doesn't check bad. I agree it is late in the year but again it was either me or the dozer getting it. It has been hot here.
Will B, These seem a bit drier than what you describe so should be ok. I do have a couple that are wider than need be. Could probably get two but that's risky sometimes even though these split really straight and have a couple knots. Gonna store them so they won't get too hot too fast so hopefully no checking.
Don W. Left some cambium in the little divots on the one hickory bow I made. Looked pretty good.
Thanks for the comments fellas we all learn from each others experiences.
Piddler

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:18:54 pm »
I have a friend that uses hickory exclusively, he halves his logs and leaves them that way for 6 months, he says he gets less warping and twisting that way.

Out of the 17 staves I had 5 or 6 doglegged as they dried, I steamed them, and dry heated them over and over and they still go back to a dogleg over time.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 01:30:53 am »
I think I killed my belt sander debarkit the cured shagbark stave that is now nearing floor tiller!  Only took about 2 hours of drawknife and sanding, then I sealed the back and ends!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 02:53:12 am »
I have a friend that uses hickory exclusively, he halves his logs and leaves them that way for 6 months, he says he gets less warping and twisting that way.

Out of the 17 staves I had 5 or 6 doglegged as they dried, I steamed them, and dry heated them over and over and they still go back to a dogleg over time.

not just hickory this applies pretty much to all wood and is a good rule of thumb to follow. Don't be in a rush to split stuff into staves...do one or two if you are in a rush but your wood will behave much better if you leave it in halves for a good while. Split stave sized pieces can go all over the place.....may not BUT they definately can do.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 07:34:45 pm »
May try the halving thing next one I get. Sure does get hard though but so be it. All in good fun. Thanks for the tip.
Piddler