Author Topic: Built a jig for splicing billets  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Walski

Built a jig for splicing billets
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:15:26 pm »
I have over a hundred pair of yew billets, and I've never spliced billets before, so I have a friend who's a cabinet maker, build me a jig.
It's a plywood sled with a fixed block of wood, that I add a spacer to and then a wedge to make the three cuts for a Z splice.
I first make sure the side of the billet that goes against the fence is relatively straight and flat (about 10"), clamp the billet so it doesn't move, and I get a perfect cut every time.  You may have to fine tune the two billets for a clean line appearance at the end.
I have a photo of the underside of the sled showing the guide attached, that fits the track on my bandsaw and a stop for the length of the cut.
I hope you find this helpful, because I couldn't find a design, except for the one shown in Billet To Bows from St. Charles, that I didn't know how to build.

Offline Walski

Re: Built a jig for splicing billets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 12:17:20 pm »
More photos

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 03:56:52 pm »
You can't beat a nicely cut handle splice :) Being able to splice billets quickly and accurately is a real boon. It looks like you got plenty of wood to go at!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:50:31 pm »
OK, so you make the first cut with just the block, then a parallel cut using the spacer, then connect the two cuts by using the wedge, right?  Sorry I am a bit dense...it took me a minute to think that through!  Thanks for posting - it looks like a super helpful jig.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 06:15:28 pm »
That's a pretty slick piece of tooling. I am going to keep this in mind if I ever end up having to do a bunch of splices.

Mark

Offline Walski

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 07:15:27 pm »
Markus, I like your jig better then mine, thank you for posting it.