Author Topic: Point lethality!  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Point lethality!
« on: September 10, 2021, 01:19:40 pm »
I'm new to knapping and am wondering how I know if my points are good enough to hunt with? Thanks

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Point lethality!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 02:11:45 pm »
Safe way is to try to slice paper - not safe way is to slice your finger >:D (lol) (lol) :fp!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 02:48:37 pm »
I think paper wouldn’t work well with serrations… but i don’t know lol! I’d say if you can push the arrowhead through a piece of leather with ease, it’s sharp enough. Also look into your state laws! Some places don’t want you hunting Deer with small points
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:02:35 pm »
I like the idea of pushing them through leather, I also think you could use one and try to slice up some raw meat see how it goes
In the woods I find my peace

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 12:35:36 pm »
I think a green hide would be a better test than a piece of leather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:07:10 am »
Take whatever you're hunting with a firearm first. Then shoot the carcass with one of your arrows at a reasonable range. If the arrow passes through the vital organs, it's good enough.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 03:25:12 pm »
if you go back to when stone was all there was.. those points rarely were sharp as in todays standards, most were to say the least hole punchers only.. if it will punch through hide and put a hole in vitals. it's sharp enough to kill... however we strive for more ethical kills today.. you want a good blood trail too... 2 blade steel heads are hit and miss on blood trails even if sharp.. with a slice the hole can close up easily when fat is present.. I've had hardly any blood, to gushers using steel 2 blades.. as for stone they don't seem to close up like steel, if you can rake it across a magazine and it cleanly cuts the paper without tearing.. I'd say you are good to go.. serrations can be hit or miss too.. deep serrations tend to grab hide and hinder penetration , more of a chance but not always, a clean razor sharp edge is best.. or micro serrations that are more like a sharks tooth profile.. thats what I tend to put on my heads now.. very scary sharp..gut

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:13:39 am »
I am not a real knapper, but I think obsidian is a good choice, especially for a beginner.  I hope to find time to finish the point I started 2 or 3 years ago!  Sort of got set aside in moving, setting up the new shop, and life gets in the way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:40:23 am »
I have taken one deer with one of my stone points. I used flintridge material and took my flaker and lightly chipped the edges until they felt sharp. I shot the deer in the chest and that point made a mess inside her. She went 40 yards and dropped.

Your edges don't have to be pretty just sharp.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:03 am »
I have killed a number of deer with stone points that I have made and I know a lot of others have also.  They work extremely well, just as they have done for hundreds of thousands of years.

Matt