Author Topic: Elk hunt 2021  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Elk hunt 2021
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2021, 01:50:48 pm »
2nd to last day of the hunt

Got out climbing up 500 to 600 foot hill this morning, just about the time it was light enough to see without a flashlight.

Up at the military crest I hung out for a while.  Did hear some bugles off in the distance.  Went around to the backside of the peak and just stood next to a tree enjoying the sunrise.

I heard some twigs snapping and rustles down the slope a ways so just stayed there to see what was going on.

Out pops a doe, followed by a fawn.  Then along come more doe and fawns.  It was neat to watch and they weren't in a terrible hurry, giving no acknowledgment of my presence.  Then I heard something heavier chrunching twigs and brush. 

I thought it is probably going to be a nice size buck and I'm going to regret not toting my DSLR up the hill.  After a little more waiting it turned out to be a solo cow elk.

Well now, any elk just happens to be on my menu so game on.

The mountains made a horseshoe shape, wind blowing perfect.  So I moved around the hill where she'd  walk right to me and waited for a while.  Nothing.

So I moved lower down toward where I had originally sighted her.  Stopping and waiting regularly.  Still nothing

Eventually I get the the approximate spot where she was walking when I sighted her and she's not there.  Watched the hillsides for a time before moving on.

What gets me, is how a big animal,  who was obviously making a bit of noise crunching on twigs and rustling through bushes, can vanish silently like a ghost.

Still got tonight and tomorrow.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 12:25:11 am »
2nd to last day evening

Wind was aweful and constantly changing directions.  Bumped a doe with two fawns.  The bulls are still buggling in the caldera but no action in the surrounding mountains.

A bunny ran out in front of me but he/she was little more than a baby so I let it go.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow...last chance.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 05:14:21 pm »
Last day

A.M. shift
Elevation approx 9000 feet

This mornings hunt was so much fun.  The elk in the Caldera were extremely active and vocal.  Watched a big ole stud bull trying to talk the ladies in to some fun time, chasing them around and trying get to the baby making (hope that's family friendly enough)

We hear bugles from the east, from the west, and from the north.  I had a partner today that does some pretty good calls.  He got a bull talking to the east of us.  I'm posted up with some cover listening to all this action, trying not to get too excited. 

My buddy is blowing some great bugles, and just the right cow calls.  Responding to him and each other, just a fun and amazing experience to be a part of.

After a bit of back and forth this bull from the east is getting closer.  Can hear him snapping twigs and pushing through brush.  No visual yet but he has to be less than a 100 yards by now.  It's all I can do not to leave my cover and try getting closer.  But no, I have discipline,  let's see this through and enjoy the show.

And then...

A car stops at a pullout down by the caldera.  They get out with cameras and start blowing really crappy bugles and cow calls...

...and chased off the elk in our area  >:(

Not optimistic about this evening, they've been getting active well after legal hunting hours.  But that being said, this was an awesome hunt and I thank the Almighty for my health and ability to take part, the opportunity and experiences.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:23:30 pm by Mesophilic »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 11:26:24 am »
It was a great experience, wish I got a chance to loose arrows at something other than rabbits and squirrels.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline gifford

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 11:56:42 am »
Enjoyed your exploits whilst elk hunting. Felt like we were there. Best of luck on your next hunt.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2021, 03:10:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing.
Having the car pull up and disturb the animals, well, been there with a partner, and hate it...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2021, 01:13:35 am »
Great story!  Most of us had hunts like that, close but no cigar!  Too bad about the "photographers" >:D!  Maybe they had some bad luck, too! Always next season!
Hawkdsncer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry