Author Topic: Forge build plans?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Mafort

Forge build plans?
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:54:27 pm »
Was wondering what anyone had as far as plans to build a coal forge? I have a barrel I could cut up and use the bottom of. I’m figuring a pipe to pump air in and a way to make a little stand? Anyone care to give some guidance

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: Forge build plans?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:46:37 pm »
Don

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:20:53 pm »
The route I went when deciding if forging knives was a hobby I wanted was a dirt forge. You can look up on google JABOD (stands for just a box of dirt)  forge and it will take you to several threads on builds and operations.
If you don’t have high clay soil, you can add some cat litter. The benefit to this is that you can mold your firepot literally any way you would like and change it at will for zero cost and little time expended.
 I used a forge like this for a year or so before making my first propane forge and have only used it once since because the propane is just so much faster and more efficient. For my dirt box I used an old grill because it was already at the height I wanted and had precut holes that worked for my air pipe.
You can do the same with a hole in the ground, (what I used on the first knife I made), but you are working off the ground and that’s not very enjoyable.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:25:47 pm »
Here was my build https://bladesmithing.timetestedtools.net/2699-2/

Don, I like that nessmuk looking blade on that page you linked. You did a good job on that dude.

Offline Don W

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:42:45 pm »
Here was my build https://bladesmithing.timetestedtools.net/2699-2/

Don, I like that nessmuk looking blade on that page you linked. You did a good job on that dude.

Thanks. I need to make another one. I sold that one.
Don

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:06:55 pm »
I used a break drum from a tractor and trailer for the fire pot and a furnace blower on the one I use in my shed.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 05:36:14 pm »
So if you guys had a choice would you recommend I do a propane forge or should I get a coal forge to begin with. Keep in mind I’m new. I’ve worked a coal forge before but it was the local farrier.

Offline Don W

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 05:58:56 pm »
I have both but I have a hard time finding coal. I also like the convenience of propane. I can run it in my shop. Turn it on, use it, then turn it off. I will probably sell my coal forge as soon as I unbury it. It's stored in the back of a shed.

My 64 year old over work and abused elbow doesn't like me doing much blacksmith work anymore, and has a painful way of letting me know. I made my daughter some shelf brackets recently. First time I've turned on the forge in about 3 or 4 months.
Don

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 06:35:29 pm »
I have both as well and use my propane forge for 99% of what I do. It is easier, faster, and more controlled for someone without a lot of experience with a coal forge. As Don said, obtaining good smith quality coal at a reasonable cost is also an issue. Charcoal is definitely an option and has its own learning curve. Learning curve is less with propane. They all have their own inherent dangers, educate yourself well on the dangers as mistakes can very well be life altering or lethal.