Author Topic: Salted deer hide - what can I do with it?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline boxerboxer

Salted deer hide - what can I do with it?
« on: September 07, 2021, 07:29:12 pm »
I just realized that the deer hide I saved from my 2017 buck got fleshed, salted and forgotten about. It's just sitting in my garage. What are my options to do something with it? I had originally intended on tanning it fur on and probably have the orange bottle I bought around somewhere if I look hard enough. I don't have a huge preference between tanning with fur on (if that's even an option) or fur off, or making rawhide if that's an option. I just want to get it to a state where I can do something useful with it.

Offline Fox

Re: Salted deer hide - what can I do with it?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 10:56:35 pm »
you could make rawhide or bucks skin, probly couldn't do fur on after sitting so long
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 04:17:00 am »
I personally don't have much use for a hair on deer hide.The hair gets dryer as time goes on and gets brittle/breaks and sheds is my reason why.If it's been salted and has been drained good and dried the hair should be set good on it and if any bugs hav'nt ate at the hair side any should be good.Despite the wonders salt can do for a hide it won't stop bugs eventually getting to it stored outside.That'll be from the hair side.
My procedure for leather would be dehairing it and to rehydrate it first.Lace it into a frame.Let it dry stretched.Sand the flesh side well if it's been fleshed good.Then use a sharp scraper to dehair it.Then sand that.
You can use whatever is in your orange bottle to tan it then or brain tan it.Stretching while drying for softness.
Same procedure for hair on only you don't dehair it and you would rub your orange bottle contents onto flesh side or brains onto the flesh side.
For rawhide same procedure as dehairing but don't tan it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:21:04 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 05:41:53 pm »
I used the orange bottle to tan some hides. I did a hair on deer hide only because I bought the wrong lime. I also didn't know I could just scrap it (good info). I will pick up some hydrated lime. I will probably use the orange bottle again. You don't need to smoke it with the orange bottle.
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 06:41:39 am »
No need to smoke it.That is true.I would say most all other tans there is no need to smoke it opposed to brain tan,but then it is'nt brain tan either and there is'nt any tan that produces the feel and toughness of brain tan.
Most all other tans are a lot easier to do as far as labor is concerned in the beginning learning curve of making leather,but with practice brain tanning is'nt all that hard to do IMO.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed