Author Topic: reflexed pyramid osage/hickory bow  (Read 6570 times)

radius

reflexed pyramid osage/hickory bow
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:42 am »
Been at work last couple days on a pyramid osage/hickory bow, which began with about 2" reflex.  It started off with limbs about 5/8 thick, which are now about 5/16 for most of the length, only 3/8 or 7/16 at the fades.  The handle is formed of layered pieces of cherry and walnut.   I'm finding that the grain run out makes for trouble in tillering: hinges and dips which are a pain in the ass to deal with.  I sharpened and rolled my scraper today, and it is awesome for wood removal, but creates a dip at every place the grain runs out, and i have to go over it again with the orbital sander to flatten it out...this ruins the beautiful finish that the scraper leaves...ah well, can't win 'em all.

First are a couple pictures of the stave in reflex, untouched.  This is actually a sister stave, an almost exact copy...because i forgot to take pictures of this one before i started work on it.

An example of the grain runout i have to deal with.  I tried to capture the dips, but i don't think they came out well in the picture.

The nocks and tip overlays

I ended up adjusting these after these pics were taken, filing the grooves into more of a 45...

First brace...yikes!!!

Chasing down the tiller...

Always increasing the brace height when i can, improving the tiller as much as i am able...

This picture is for my buddy El Destructo...

A few shots of the handle's progress...

Going to put in some more time on it tomorrow; should be able to get it into final shape and sand it down before the day is through...

I also have 2 setback/recurve bows which are fully tillered and require only accentuations and final treatment...get those up by the end of the week, i guess.

Thanks

radius

Re: reflexed pyramid osage/hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:30:09 pm »

Few more shots...i'll get a full draw up here some day soon...

This bow pulls around 45# at 28"...and yet its limbs are only about 1/4 inch thick along their length...maybe 5/16...it's light as a feather...

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:54:55 am »
very nice i will be aiming for something like that
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »
How do you cut out and radius the arrow shelf?
Gordon

radius

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:40 pm »
Gordon, I just sketch it in with a pencil, and then hit it with a fine-toothed pullcut saw.  Takes 10 seconds for the initial cut.  Then i make a series of cut about 1/8 " apart, stopping them just short of my sketch line.  break those out with a chisel, clean it up with a chisel.  I use a cabinetmaker's rasp (with a safe edge) for the radius, and when i have the shape i want, i smooth it all out with a combination file (1/2 round). 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:10:02 pm »
Is your initial cut parallel to the riser or perpendicular like the rest of the cuts?
Gordon

radius

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:58 pm »
Gordon, none of the cuts are parallel to the riser...they are all "parallel" to the arrow...that is, perpendicular to the riser lams.   The first cut is the deepest cut.  I work my way up the line, cutting roughly every 1/4" or so...random...then the last bit i leave alone and hit with the rasp, file, chisel, sander, sandpaper...