Author Topic: Elk hunt 2021  (Read 7548 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Elk hunt 2021
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 02:00:46 pm »
Dang! I was hoping this one would be a red arrow post!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 02:01:31 pm »
Took a quick pic with my phone...I can only find one of the two spikes in the frame.  Bonus points to whomever can find the 2nd one ;D

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »
I counted 21 head in this herd alone.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 02:06:20 pm »
This bull was amazing to watch.  He locked horns with a bull to try to take his herd.  Broke part of his antler off and lost.

As he walked away, he kept looking back at the herd and you could almost feel the thoughts and emotions going thru his head.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 02:12:24 pm »
Dang!  Got to agree with JW!  Maybe next try!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 02:19:30 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm reinvigorated for the evening hunt.

By the way, Valles Caldera is National Park and off limits except for a select few tags each season.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 03:50:26 am »
beautiful country

This bull was amazing to watch.  He locked horns with a bull to try to take his herd.  Broke part of his antler off and lost.
As he walked away, he kept looking back at the herd and you could almost feel the thoughts and emotions going thru his head.

life is not always good  :NN

Really hope you will connect  :OK

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 11:06:51 am »
Some bad news. 

I don't know how I did it but somehow I injured my upper back and lower neck area.  Maybe I bounced in the truck or the Jeep wrong on a rough road...I really have no idea.  I can still get around, if I walk a bit stiff, but there's no way I can field dress and haul out a large animal solo.  I've got pain radiating down in to my shoulder and all up and down my spine, and didn't sleep for nothing last night.

My buddies all have to be back at work this a.m. so I'm on my own.

Going to take today off and see how it goes.  Still have until sundown Friday for this hunt.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 11:18:40 am »
Sounds like you need a trip to the chiropractor.  That probably won't go away on its own - at least that hasn't been my experience.  You would think that if you threw something out, it could be thrown back in...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:57 am »
I agree with TimBo - get checked out, then worry about the hunt!  Even with a rare tag!  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 11:02:30 am »
Wow, that story with the spike IS elk hunting with a trad bow.  So many, so many, so many close calls, but no kills.   Hope you can get your back sorted out and stay on the hunt.  Be safe, be smart, and live to hunt another day!

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 01:02:05 pm »
Thanks for taking us along. WB has it right. That’s a huge part of hunting this way. I guess I’m surprised how much I like that part.

Hope your back gets better. I’m plagued with a bad neck and back. Sometimes I almost want to cry. Hopefully yours recovers when you get back to your own bed.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 01:25:43 pm »
WB has it right. That’s a huge part of hunting this way. I guess I’m surprised how much I like that part.

It something I've really made peace with this year.  Hunting with trad gear, especially in the open west, means making a kill much less often.  I would have killed several elk by now if I were using modern gear.  After passing a shot at a six-point bull that would have been a chip shot with a modern cross bow (legal in Wyoming  >:( ), I came to the realization that I'm just choosing to limit myself and place the experience above the kill.

I might get myself a crossbow someday if I just need the meat in the freezer.  But I doubt it.  I love hunting with my stick and string, and if that means I eat my tag most years, I'm reasonably OK with that.  :)   (SH)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 03:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Day 8 (I think?)

Still sore and achy but feeling better so I got out this a.m.  Went out with the attitude that I'd only take a shot if things were perfect since I'd be packing out myself.

The weather finally cooled off.  As I drove past the caldera there was only a handful of elk grazing and doing elk things but it's still a beautiful site.

Further up in the mountains there were patches of frost and I was regretting not bringing a pair of gloves.

Took my time and climbed up about 500 feet.  Lots of bugling around me, I love that sound...its so primeval.  A couple calls sounded man made, but I've heard some pretty crappy calls from real elk so who knows.

I just sat up on the hill enjoying everything for a while.

Walked the crest after a while and found scat piles that were still a little gooey.  Guessing that the elk crossed during the night and I missed them.  Saw a doe browsing across the hill from me and just watched her for a while till she scented me.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll take my big camera and see if I can get some neat pictures if I don't cross paths with elk.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 07:39:28 am »
Glad to hear you are still in the hunt. Good Luck.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise