Author Topic: Archery in films, any personal involvement?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Gimlis Ghost

Archery in films, any personal involvement?
« on: September 21, 2021, 04:03:25 pm »
Hi
In the past I had some interest in Indy films, did some remote acting and narrations, etcetera.
Anyway I'm wondering if any members here have been involved in film making or building props for films that featured archery in some form?

PS
Personal story.
A close friend became involved in the first attempt to film the Civil War action drama "Cold Mountain" in South Carolina.

The original attempt closed down when the main player's wife became ill and they later moved production from the USA to Europe.

My friend was doing carpentry work on sets and someone noticed his very distinct hillbilly accent and phases. He grew up deep in the mountains.
It wasn't long before the stars of the film asked him to have lunch with them every day so they could listen and learn to speak as he did.
Also they noticed he was exactly the same size as actor Donald Pleasance. To save time while awaiting DP's arrival they did set up shots having my friend do walk throughs and such so the camera angles would be perfect for the scenes when filmed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:13:29 pm by Gimlis Ghost »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Archery in films, any personal involvement?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:22:05 pm »
Yeah, I have worked some on films, documentaries, commercials. Have built props for a few more.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 03:52:17 am »
can you elaborate?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:42:52 am »
I was asked to make some bows for a film, I declined
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 05:43:34 pm »
I was asked at Twin Oaks to make a bow making video, the guy who asked had watched me circulate around helping the newbies make bows. He said he liked my style adn had al the professional equipment to get the job done. Fearing some kind of notoriety I declined, I prefer to be anonymous.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 08:50:13 pm »
can you elaborate?

Whadya wanna know? That they universally know absolutely nothing about how archery works and will make impossible demands, generally making your life miserable and have you questioning why you ever wanted to do this in the first place? Oh, and there is a better than even chance that they will never pay you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 09:33:23 am »
I did make an Ojibwa bow with some arrows for a museum out in Alberta a few years ago that was used in a short video
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:42:45 am »
I had my granddaughter shoot a tillering gizmo how to video to put on youtube, it was OK but my performance was kinda' stiff.

I posted it on my youtube channel, it got a good response.

Later I was trying to help a flintlock gun builder who did the worst work I had ever seen, everything he made was really slopped together with huge inletting gaps and crooked lines. When I suggested he might make a pattern on his stock blank before he started hacking away wood freehand, he got a little testy and questioned my gun building ability.

I was building a American fowler with English influence, I had just finished the lock panel and wrist shaping so I posted a 30 second video of my building progress.  When the guy saw my work he changed his tune about my shortcomings and was very apologetic.

You tube had a purge of anything not monetized the mentioned guns and canceled my channel for "violating their guidelines". My repeated attempts to find why they erased my videos were met with silence.