Author Topic: The Hickory Stick  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
The Hickory Stick
« on: September 26, 2021, 02:39:06 pm »
I made this bow from a hickory stave. It started out at 70" ttt. After about 2 weeks shooting this bow every day and what I figure was around 1500+ arrows ( was targeting 100 arrows a day, but some days went over 300, I just loved shooting it), I strung the bow to shoot and to my great disappointment, the bow had lost the nice tiller and had a huge negative tiller. Have you ever been mad at a bow? Is scolding and swearing at a bow out loud a sign of insanity? I hope not.

But not to give up, I retillered and piked the bow to 67″ to gain back the 50#. After all, every bow needs to teach us something, right??

It seems the extra love has paid off, It hasn't lost any of the speed or accuracy and after 6 weeks it's settled in at a tad over 49#@28". It will be chasing whitetail with me in less than a week. I have to admit making these bows has made my bow season anticipation greater than it has been in quit sometime.

I added a little green dye this time to the camo pattern. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but I have a friend who's always said he'd give up a little looks for the right attitude. I like this bows attitude.

It was my first self bow shooting above average. I've managed a few others since, but the first is always the sweetest. My hunting arrows are 670gr and they're shooting 151-154fps. I just chrono'ed them again this morning. I really don't know why it took me so long to come back to this hobby, but I'm glad it did.

She's got a antler arrow shelf and steer horn tip overlays. A leather handle with some imprints from some leather tools I made.

Don

Offline Will B

Re: The Hickory Stick
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:22:44 pm »
Very nice hickory bow. Good luck with it this fall!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 04:11:55 pm »
Nicely done and good save.  I think you learned the lesson it was trying to teach you!

Cheers

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:48:58 pm »
That's a nice looking bow. Good luck hunting with it this year.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 08:08:34 pm »
A looker in every category. The colors won't register on the eyes of most game animals so you have effectively a nice camo pattern while still catching the eye of the humanoids.